ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to remove the air conditioner condenser when you replace the radiator?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
"Do you have to remove the air conditioner condenser when you replace the radiator?"

No. but you do have to remove the front bumper cover and the clutch fan and shroud.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haynes manual? Yes sir. But haven't read yet.

Thanks domdogg123 & phzZ31.

How long do the 300zx radiators usually last? What are the best replacement brands? Or which ones should I stay away from. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just get a 2 core turbo radiator. You can find them for about $100 online, just do some searching. OEM is not necessary.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks domdogg123.

I think this my last question.

Is when they say '2 rows' the same as '2 core'?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
jacrum wrote:

> Thanks domdogg123.
>
> I think this my last question.
>
> Is when they say '2 rows' the same as '2 core'?
>
> Thanks!

I believe so. Although I bought a single core radiator that was twice as thick as the stock core and it still works much better than the stock rad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the grammer; I left out an 'is' in this sentence: ' I think this my last question.'

From what I can see the aftermarket radiators are about half the price of the stock ones (via Nissan), or less.

Thanks again domdogg123 & phzZ31.

·
Registered
455 Posts
when should the radiator be replaced?? any recommendations? i have 155 thousand miles on mine, just wondering so it doesnt randomly brake when my bank account is empty

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
it should be replaced when the engine overheats and you've tried the thermostat, rad cap, and a few other things.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From a preventive maintenance point of view, how many miles are usually on a 85 300zx when they (radiators) fail, in general? ...150K, 200K, 250 (maybe), or do they rarely fail? I would rather replace if it is somewhat certain it will eventually fail (before the engine does), rather than get stuck on the highway with an overheated engine. I have about 150K as does johndrew24.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
If you flush and fill the radiator every year, you should never have to replace it. If you've never done it before, who knows how much longer it can or will last.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sorry to say, the antifreeze/water doesn't get changed every year--not even close. But it will from now on, after I replace the radiator to give the engine a little overheating insurance. I will flush it with the old radiator still attached before installing a new radiator.

I just didn't know how long radiators were supposed last. I figured deposits, rust, or something would eventually ruin them over time. I guess that 'something' could be called 'lack of preventative maintenance.'

Thanks AZ_ZBum, 1sikZ, johnndrew24, phxZ31, and domdogg123.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.