ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a strange whining sound coming from under the hood yesterday and popped the hood to check it out and the sound was coming from the radiator fans; one wasnt moving. Anyway I went to start it up this morning and now none of the radiator fans are moving. Now I know sometimes they dont come on unless it's hot enough but I think they've actually slipped or something has caused them to quit working. Any ideas on what to look for regarding this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Assuming your car is stock and turbo there are only two fans that are electric. One is the injector cooling fan the other is for the A/C condensor. The only fan that matters is the one being driven by the belt and unless the belt is broke it should be spinning.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If it is an Australian car then you would find the RH fan comes on first at about half speed. It is triggered by the same sensor as the injector cooling fan.
It will also run anytime the aircon is on.

The trigger for both fans to full speed is the sensor at the bottom of the radiator on the LH side. I have seen cases where the wires to this sensor have separated from the connector for some reason.

It takes a while to get it warm enough from cold start to get the electric fans running, and if the cooling system is ok at idle then you should only see the RH fan cycling on and off.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both are now not working; and the whining type sound still comes from that general area. It's like it's stuck or something; might have to get it checked out properly...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fans do infact move by hand... The sound is hard to explain but it's like that of a whining; when pressing on the gas the sound can be heard from the radiator fan area almost like they're trying to spin but cant for some reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.