ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my car was on the lift the other day, I was shown that both my tie rod ends are loose and I can see that the boots are torn and leaking power steering fluid.

Is this a serious situation? Can I just replace the tie rod ends and boots, or do I need a whole new rack? I've never delt with the steering system before, so I have no clue.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took my 280zx in to have the oil changed and the guy who was changing the oil noticed that my boots were torn. He advised that I get them fixed. Did I listen No! I put it off and a couple of months down the road my girlfriend(BIG MISTAKE) was cruzing my Z at about 5mph and all of a sudden the steering wheel pulled to the left and she couldn't get it straight and ran it into a wall. This really did a # on my Z. So I bought another Z for parts and had to replace the whole rack and at the same time put new boots and seals. I'm not for sure if this was the problem or not but I can tell you if dirt or pebbles get deep inside the rack then this could bust the seals and causes your rack to leak. It wasn't very expensive for the boots or seals where I got them was called Motorsport Auto. You can call 1-800-633-6331 for a book. I think it cost about $5 but its well worth it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took my 280zx in to have the oil changed and the guy who was changing the oil noticed that my boots were torn. He advised that I get them fixed. Did I listen No! I put it off and a couple of months down the road my girlfriend(BIG MISTAKE) was cruzing my Z at about 5mph and all of a sudden the steering wheel pulled to the left and she couldn't get it straight and ran it into a wall. This really did a # on my Z. So I bought another Z for parts and had to replace the whole rack and at the same time put new boots and seals. I'm not for sure if this was the problem or not but I can tell you if dirt or pebbles get deep inside the rack then this could bust the seals and causes your rack to leak. It wasn't very expensive for the boots or seals where I got them was called Motorsport Auto. You can call 1-800-633-6331 for a book. I think it cost about $5 but its well worth it. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.