ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was a way to convert my power steering on my 87 Turbo to Rack and Pinion. My P/S is currently not working, and I figure that without the extra belt on the motor it wouldn't drain any power. Please tell me ther is a way. Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You're closer than you think to having what you want.

You already have power rack & pinion. You just need to eliminate the power.

Before you go too far, try taking the belt off and driving around for a few days. This will give you a feel for how the car will drive prior to removing a bunch of stuff, then deciding that you don't like it.

If you decide the car drives to your liking, then the entire pump and hoses can be removed.

To ease the steering effort, after the lines are removed all of the way down to the rack, turn the wheel full left and right a few times to purge most of the fluid out of the rack. The fluid causes much resistance and is no longer needed. Enough will remain in the rack to keep things lubericated. Plug the holes in the rack with some of those poly-plug thingies you will find at most parts or hydraulic stores. They're used to seal out dirt during shipping of new hydraulics and will do well keeping the dirt out of your rack.

And after a while of driving without the power steering, you too can be like my hero.

Post Edited (Jun 21, 6:11pm)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.