ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 300zx . I have developed a drip off the rack and pinion assembly . I do not think its the high pressure hose unless its running down and dripping overhead. I am afraid this might be too serious to tackle . Any one have any experience with this? KKing

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine dripped where it attaches to the rod for the steering column (retainer adjusting screw). It was over ten years ago so I don't remember all the details. I did it myself and it is somewhat tedious to replace the seals that have to be replaced. You have to be very careful to not scratch the new seals when slipping them on. Used cellophane tape over the rough groves and power steering oil on the tape. I believe the worst part is taking the rack off and putting it back on. (I believe I had to take off the support bar that helps support the engine. Someone else can chime in on this one. Just take a good look at what has to come off before you begin.) Take a look at what else you might want to replace while you have it broken down (tie rods, rubber booties, struts, wheel bearings, etc.). Had to get the front end aligned afterward. It is still working but I don't drive the car every day.

Summary: it can be done with a lot of work--if Nissan still sells the parts. Although there is a chance that you may scratch a rubber seal while assembling it and only find out that it is still leaking after you put the car back together. Test as soon as you can--with some parts (wheels, ect.) still on the floor possibly.

Would I do it again: No. I might buy a rebuilt rack and pinion and put it in instead of fixing it also.

Can you do it: yes, with patience and a Nissan manual. Get manual and read before deciding. Special tools are needed to test (I skipped these--risky).

Will you cuss: yes!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ya but you also need an alignment too oh ya watch out for certain rebuilt rack and pinion for they don't always hold up that well. It happend to me when I got mine done 2 months later drip drip drip from the new rebuilt one. Oh ya check your lower steering shaft and see it isn't looking bad (teeth, rust, etc.) before you meet the 2 together. Its all about preventative maintenance when it comes to z31s. You skip it now it will wind up coming to haunt you later like say that famous AFM. The best one of all is NAPA auto parts where you never go wrong with their products. Thats where I had to go to get ANOTHER rack and pinion and never went wrong ever since plus their warranty too.

DenZeL KnighT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.