Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Does anyone know if there is any racing harness out there that will work with the stock 240z seats. I am asking this because most people that use racing harnesses with stock seats have split headrests and run the shoulder belts between the headrest and seatback. and as you probaly know the 240 seat doesnt have the split headrests they have a one piece back. The only thing I can think of is the y-type Simpson, or Rci 5 point. But I'm still not sure It'll work.

Please Help

THANX

Adam
73 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Hey there,

> Does anyone know if there is any racing
> harness out there that will work with the
> stock 240z seats. I am asking this because
> most people that use racing harnesses with
> stock seats have split headrests and run the
> shoulder belts between the headrest and
> seatback. and as you probaly know the 240
> seat doesnt have the split headrests they
> have a one piece back. The only thing I can
> think of is the y-type Simpson, or Rci 5
> point. But I'm still not sure It'll work.

> Please Help

> THANX

> Adam
> 73 240z
Adam,
I have a set of competition belts installed in my BSP car which is a 78 coupe. I used the SafeQuip 5 point harness this time although I have used other kinds in the past. I undid the bolts from the stock seatbelt positions and bolted the lap belt in right on top of the stock belt. This way I can use the stock belts for everyday driving. I removed the bolt down attachment from the shoulder harness and just looped it over my strut bar. The only actual drilling I did was for the anti-submarine strap and I just drilled a hole throught the front of the seat box and ran a graded bolt through. If you don't have a strut bar, first of all why do you need competition belts? but you can also bolt the shoulder harness to the stock shoulder belt holddown on the strut housing. Just lengthen the one side of the harness that has to go further. Your shoulders should hold the belts in place unless you are slightly built. These are a pain if you want to use them for everyday driving. Also you will get no break if you are pulled over for speeding and you are strapped in like Jeff Gordon.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Adam You must be VERY careful when installing seat belts. With the stock 240 seat the shoulder straps will be to wide and could cause more injuries then the stock belts. Try Schroth street belts as the will work ok with a stock seat. If you want comp style belts get a good seat first and follow the manufactures instructions for istalation. BC

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Gee, you would think that after 20 plus years in emergency medicine and being on the track medical staff of three different International Raceways I would have known that wide belts can cause more injuries than they prevent. Give me some theory or journal article to back this up. Show me how a wide belt on a stock seat can cause more injury than it prevents. Sounds like Bubbathink to me.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Personally I use the Simpson 5 point restraint, all the time. Why have two sets of belts?

As far as the narrow vs wide, my friend has a Corrado with the street belts in it, and they work great. But compared to the Simpson belts in my car, both of us agree, the Simpson belts are superior.

As for a wider belt over a narrow one, the wider belt will dispense the load over a larger area, which would give me the impression that less injury would result due to the wider disspersment of the load to the body. Modern PPG Cart cars tub design uses this concept to prevent driver injury. A large surface area to absorb the impact results in less injury to any one part of the body.

It is a proven fact that extremely hard impact to the front can cause the driver to suffer a broken sternum, when restraints are used. That is why Simpson has developed an attachment to the shoulder belts in the chest area, to keep the belts from spreading, preventing the driver from suffering a broken sternum. An impact to a stock Z of this magnitude would probably kill the driver anyway.

Get the Simpson Belts. Simpson also provides a rewebbing service. It is recommended that they be rewebbed or replaced every two years of use (NHRA observes this in tech inspection, as well as the IHRA). Rewebbing runs $35.00

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Show me how a wide
> belt on a stock seat can cause more injury
> than it prevents. Sounds like Bubbathink to
> me.
Sorry I was not talking about the size of the strap but how far apart the belts would be because of the head rest. If the belts are allowed to spread apart injuries will occur. The point of my post was to warn those people who dont have experience that just bolting in wide belts makes a car safer. I have also have been around racing for awhile (17 years) and seen shoulder,neck, and sterum injuries from improper belt installation. I have also been at the track when someone died because their seat was installed wrong. My point is follow the manufactures instructions completly dont just bolt in belts in convient holes and think its safer. Being a medical person you should give the same advice too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.