ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get on the freeway, and some guy next to me challenged me to a race. He beat me, which didn't surprise me cause he was in a 2005 Maxima. What did surprise me is that he didn't beat me by much. Since he's got about 105 horses more than my 1985 na, i was expecting to get killed, but it was neck and neck until about 70mph and then he started pulling ahead of me but only beat me down the ramp by about 12 feet.
anyways, made me feel good knowing that if i did decide to do some major tuning, my car might have a chance at being competative.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the altima 3.5 SE has less power than the Maxima. so does the SE-R 6spd.
the 3.5 SE is 250hp, the 3.5 SE-R is 260hp, the Maxima SE has 265hp, and he definitely had the manual tranny rather than the auto.
The Maxima weighs 3,447lbs, the Altima SE-R weighs 3,279lbs, so it has a weight advantage but not in power. Also, the Maxima has a better coefficient of drag, 0.28. The altima is 0.30 in SE-R trim with the spoiler, and the 350Z, believe it or not, is worse than both at 0.32.

I've been selling Nissans for a couple months now, I got this nifty little book that has all this info. The book only pertains to 2005 models, we haven't gotten out 2006 ones yet but i think they are the same.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I got my ass kicked by an SE-R Sentra the other, That car is fast too But i think he had something under the hood

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah my buddy has a Sentra SE-R SpecV thats bone stock, and my Z will beat it but not by much. if you got killed, they definitely did something to it.

"for some reason the altima is faster...no doubt"

the Altima SE-R is no doubt the best nissan for the money. it has more potential than the Maxima, and looks better. I was very surprised when i read that both the maxima and altima have better aerodynamics than the 350Z though.. since they're both longer and taller than the Z, and neither of them were designed to be sports cars. The 350Z Touring edition with the taller spoiler, according to my little book, has the same coefficient of drag as the Altima SE-R (.30), but the all the other 350Zs with no spoiler or the little tiny lip spoiler are .32

Post Edited (Sep 21, 12:20pm)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i never said i wouldn't put a turbo on it eventually. I am just saving up for a driver first car so i can get my z off the road and eventually do some stuff to it.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
phxz31: Is your Z31 stock? If so your friend can't drive becuase no way would a non turbo 300zx beat a SE-R sentra. The SE-R sentra runs a 15.4 in the 1/4 mile when driven properly which is about 1 second faster than the 300zx n/a. Even a moddified 300zx non turbo would have a hard time keeping up with them. Then again, the owner of the sentra actually has to know how to drive it. In order to get really good times from the sentra you really have to rev it high and drive the car like you hate it. Same goes for the celica GT-S, RSX type-S, civic SI. All those cars require really high reving and precise shifting in order to get the correct times for them. I've seen it many times at the track where the owners just don't know the proper launch or shift points and get bad times. Then their friend hops in the car and does much better.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Forgot to mention, the guy in the maxima was just dicking with you if he barely pulled ahead. The maxima runs the 1/4 mile in something like 14.7 which is much much faster than a 300zx non turbo will be even with mods. He was just pushing his car enough to get ahead of you, not to race you. While you sell nissans and seem to know your specs on them you don't really know about them in a racing situation. Just about all the new nissan cars will beat the 300zx n/a stock for stock. I remember when 280dragger from the 70's forum brought out his new 2003 sentra base model to LACR it shocked the **** out of me that it ran a 16.3 with the only mod being intake. Do the conversion to compensate for the high altitude and that puts the regular sentra at about the 15.9-16.0 range for sea level.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah Iw as gonna say that the 2005 Maxima would OWN a N/A Z my brother sells nissans down in Tempe AZ and I drove the 6 speed Maxima and I was quite impressed on how it moved for such a heavy car. I alos like the SE-R altima that was fun too but my fav would have to be a Track Edition Z :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
It was Brown and Brown but now I think it is called Power Nissan off of Elliot.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ooh, not a Larry van Tuyl store. i think that store is down by Chapman Chevrolet, and i worked there for a month or so too. Chevy's suck though, don't know what I was thinking there...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah thats sounds about right htere is a chevy place right there with it and a Acura and a honda and some others

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.