ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was spending some time behind an Armada today throttling back from the desert, and was wondering, does anybody know if that suspiciously large independent differential back there is an R230, or something bigger?

And what about a gear ratio?

Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm also interested but there isn't any information out there for things like this. The idiot salepeople at the dealer don't seem to know anything more than skindeep of the cars they sell. But here's what I know . . .

I believe there's two types of final gears. One is the standard 3.36 (like in our highway geared 240Z's) and the one with the towing option (if different) is a higher gearing. Maybe TonyD knows how the different final gears works.

I've also checked out the Armada differential and it's HUGE! I think this is due to the larger housing to prevent flex at the extreme loads to which these things are subjected. I have no idea if it's an R230 because it sure doesn't look like one! I wonder if any of my buddies in Japan knows, but I doubt it. They just got the Murano as a 2005 model. Plus, there isn't a market at all over there for these things.

TonyD, I heard that the Armada was pretty quick for a full sized SUV. I'm pretty sure you found out if it's true or not.

Anybody else know what size differential this monster has?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
The titan has a solid axel, the Armada has independant, the armada might be different. Nissanusa.com advertises the crap out of the dana rear end on the Titan pages, but on the Armada pages it doesnt say anything about it.

Anyway Nissannews.com says the stanard rear ratio is a 2.937 the off road option is 3.357.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Different...

The Titan has a live axle out back, the Armada I was following had an alloy diffy cover, and halfshafts.
So from the Titans I have seen, it's a different rear suspension.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.937.... Ex----cellent...

That is encouraging newz....

Muhahahaha, I believe I will start searching in earnest, and give up my quest for the 3.36 R200 now, that Armada Diffy looks to be the one I want.

I wonder what kind of beyotch it will be to cram into the back half of an 83 280ZXT...

JeffP, are you paying attention to this discussion?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
TonyD, I got one of them R200-3.36 in my Z, barelly revs at all -- low rpms, just what I like.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you get it?

My understanding was 79ZX with four speeds were the only 3.36 donors. I have had **** trying to find one for the past three years.

Or the 3.08 service replacement.

This new 2.9 gearset makes my mouth salivate just thinking of the possibilities for my Bonneville Project. Overdrive, I don't need no stinkin' overdrive!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Tony D,

I've also heard the 3.36 R200 also came in the 2+2 4-speed 260z. Clifton from HybridZ said he pulled one. He said to e-mail him at [email protected] if anyone's interested in it, however the post was back in September 2003, so I'm not sure if he still has it.

Hope this helps!

-Eric

Post Edited (Oct 19, 9:36am)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.