ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several how to's on this opperation and I have particular problems with parts. My doner car, 81 280zx 2+2 does not have the front differntial cross over or a mustache bar and dispite other info, the half shafts when compaired side by side are the same lenght.
My '71 240z's rear lower suspension cross over; A-arm to A-arm, is an angle iron facing forward which limits space behind the differntial.
I am modifying the car into a roadster and have the spare tire well cut out, and wonder why I could not eliminate the mustache bar, add a steel plate to the down drops to the lower cross over for more space, drill holes in the new plate for the rear differential mounting bolts and the fill and drain plugs and mount the rear of the diferential solid to this new plate. I feel that this would also help the side to side rear of the car flex.
Question: would this solid mount be to hard on the differential.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I did a R200 LSD swap into my 73. I also never understood the half-shaft swap recommondations. I used my original '73 half-shafts with the new diff. Don't know about the other issues...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The halfshafts have two components

1. the external double U-jointed section with two flanges
2. the internal spiles which bolt up to the Differential

So The external components are the same for both R200 and R180
it is the difference in the internal components -- splines are whole lot longer in the R200

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Get a curved crossover piece from a 72>78 Z, or heat and hammer your original one for clearance. I've done 'em both ways. Arizona Z Car sells a nice aluminum billet mustache bar for less than the cost of a new Nissan bar.
I wouldn't fab something like you're talking unless there was a **** good reason, and, in your case, I didn't see a good reason.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I add to Z Doctor's response, dont reinvent the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.