ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a R200 from an early 90's Q45. Does anyone know what the drive ratio is or how I can find out? Will this fit in my 71 240Z without much of a headache?

71 Z with 83ZXT motor, Saab Intercooler

Post Edited (Oct 12, 11:08pm)

·
Registered
903 Posts
hmm. . anything's possible... but I hope you know how to weld & fabricate lots of stuff, like driveshaft & axle flanges, mounts, etc. I don't know the ratios in it, but since Infiniti Q45 is a pretty high up luxury car, it's probably a good quality differential.

but I bet it'd be cheaper just to get an LSD from a 84-89 turbo 300zx.

then again i still have my stock r180 and i've never touched it other than to change oil. so what do i know?

·
Registered
33 Posts
R200 LSDs only came in the 87-89 300zx turbos. The 88' 300zx SS came with a R200V. These are getting harder and harder to find, however Q45s are starting to turn up more in the junkyards.

the Q45 diff from 90-97 have a 3.54 R200V.

-You will need 2 pairs of the 90-97 q45 CV halfshafts
-custom axles
-custom front differential mount
-redrill an R200 mustache bar or Custom mustache bar
-CV adaptors to mate to your companion flanges

A lot of the V8 hybrid guys do this swap and they have no complaints. I'll be doing it for my stroker turbo swap.

Check out these links for additional information:

<http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=33834&highlight=q45+r200>

Makes CV adaptors and Moser custom shafts
<http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=57>

It may be a little more expensive to do than a 300zx R200 LSD, but they are easier to find, and are much stouter and stronger from what I hear. You can also get a R230V from a 300zxtt (3.7 ratio) which is bigger than the Q45s.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Post Edited (Oct 13, 9:09am)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The Q has an R230V 3.54 ratio It will go into an early Z, because I've done it, but it is a byotch. You'd be better off sticking with an older R200.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's a side by side comparison of a R200V and a R230V

Brad-ManQ45,
My mistake, it was 90-96 having the R200V, not 90-97

The Z Doctor,
Were you running into any problems with the diff? Did you fabricate everything yourself or did you use adaptors, etc. from Modern motorsport? Just wanted to get an idea since I'll be doing the swap in the future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm a little busted here. I didn't do it, one of my employees did it. He fabricated everything (driveshaft, front mount, mustache bar etc.) The axle problem was approached by shortening the stock halfshafts by one ball, and welding the four bolt ujoint flange to the machined-out stub axles in the R230. Crude, but effective......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight. My R180 is starting to pipe up with clicking already and I'm in just my first 500 miles with the new 83zxt motor. This truly is a perpetual project. My wife could be a threat to my Z's health about now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys,
I have a v lsd out of a infiniti j30 from 94-96 i believe and I wanted to see if it would be trouble to put it into my 1981 280zx na. if not its up for sale:)
thanks
JOe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.