ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i installed the mustache bar that curves back like 1/2 inch, and i installed the rear crossmember, which from the looks of it, the stock one would have done fine.

anyways, i got the r-200 up thier with the front mount on it but it seems to be sitting forward about 1/2 to one inch, and the bolt holes don't align.

my question is A (what did i do wrong) and B, did i put the insulator and crossmember in the wrong possition on the r-200? right now i ahve the insulator on the front 2 holes (holes closest too drivehshaft) and the longer part of the insulator pointing back towards the gas tank. Is this right? do i have to place the insulator on the rear 2 holes and have the longer end pointiong forward?

dean,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS: this is a 4/71' 240Z

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If using the R200 from a ZX, the mounting scheme is different. You will need the diff rear cover from a first gen R200.

If you elect to use what you have (it can be done, but not easy), this might be required (guessing, since I have no details on what parts you do have).

The mustache bar will have to be drilled, with holes slightly farther apart, and slightly larger.

The front diff mount will have to be rotated 180 degrees, to line up with the diff again.

It can be done, but will work better (and your halfshafts will be in the correct plane with your wheels) if you get the right parts.

This is assuming you have a ZX R200 (3.9, 3.7).

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I did mine I finger tighten all the bolts I think I even finger tighten the one on the diff mount also. This will allow you to move all the peices until its aligned then tighten all the nuts and bolts down to spec. You could try turning the front mount to see if you did put them on backwards. I did mine a while back and don't remember how they were faced. I had marked mine when I took it of so didn't have a problem. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You didn't say what kind of mustache bar you're using. You should be using a 280Z mustache bar. You should also be using a curved rear crossmember from a 72+ 240, 260, or 280Z.

An easy mistake is to mount the mustache bar backwards, causing the diff to sit way too far forward. Note that the 240Z and 280Z mustache bars are oriented differently with respect to the vertical frame mounts. If the R200 is fitting with your straight crossmember, then you've definitely got the mustache bar backwards. I discovered this the hard way, and had to go back to the junkyard to look at some 280Z's to discover my error.

To clarify what Zuber said, you do not need to swap diff covers unless you're using an LSD out of a 300ZX.

Sean
73 240Z (L24, SU's, 5 spd, 3.7 R200)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
On my 71 I put the diff mount on the front two holes in the R200 diff with the wider (longer?) part of the diff mount toward the front of the car and it fit right. Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.