ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these R12 to R134 Conversion kits for $49.95 through JC Whitney. Is that all I need to convert my 280Z A/C system from a R12 to a R134 system? I've heard elsewhere that I have to replace the compressor.

Any advice?

Fred

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: R12 to R134 Conversion Question</b>

I haven't seen what comes with the kit but it should include seals, oil, and service ports as a minimum. The compressor should be ok but the oil has to be changed. The receiver-drier should be changed anytime the system is opened. The rubber hoses are adequate to keep R-12 (freon) in but the R-134a (sufa) has smaller molecules and will escape eventually. Hope this helps.
John Thorn CMAT, IZCC2413, iATN Sponsor

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: R12 to R134 Conversion Question</b>

I've heard that R134 is not compatible w/copper lines that are on some older Z's. Check it out.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I did to convert mine was pumped out the old R12 and refilled with 134A w/ PAG oil. If the kit comes with the PAG oil you should just be able to drain it and refill with 134A. The PAG oil is suppose to mix with the mineral oil and keep the 134a stable. I'm not sure how the 134a affects the seals, but I did mine a year and it is still nice and cold. I live in Pheonix AZ so the AC got used a lot. Anyone know how long my set up should last?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>Freon,Kleenex and Scotch tape (kind of long)</b

I'm a commercial refrigeration mechanic on weekdays and Z enthusiast on weekends. First of all stop calling it Freon and Suva or I'll have to Scotch tape some Kleenex over my monitor, its all refrigerant but its not all made by DuPont. When all of these new refrigerants came out DuPont and the rest of the chemical companies said that the mineral oil would need to be removed and the proper oil put back in depending on which refrigerant was being used. Recently they have changed their story and said that on systems under 5 tons you can just change the refrigerant. Long before they came out with that statement most techs were already doing it that way due to some systems being impossible to remove the old oil. I've never to this day experienced the first problem by leaving in the old oil on a small system. As far as the question about R-134a not being compatable with copper, don't know where that came from but 99% of refrigeration systems out there have copper piping. My personal opinion on the need for new seals and different hoses is'nt so much that the molecules are smaller, but the discharge pressures are higher and if its time to replace the refrigerant then you already have a leak in your system that needs to be repaired. Its supposed to be a closed system and unless you have a leak you will never need more refrigerant. And to the guy who says all he did was "pump" out the R-12, I really hope you mean that you recovered it and not just vented it to the atmosphere. (theres a fine up to $25,000 and possible jail time for venting CFC's to the atmosphere)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.