ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Car: 84 Turbo Converstion/ Stock Boost, Port and polish heads, 600 mile on brand new bottom end, all new parts, Crank, Rods, NA Pistons, New Bearings.

Also found a leaky injector that has yet been fixed, will fix when I tear her down again.

Questions,

1) Why does my driver side head gasket keep blowing, for this is the second time this has happened, both times the heads were resurfaced. Any Ideas?

2) A friend of mine suggested that maybe my wastegate was sticking, resulting in the fact that too much pressure was building upand being vented, with that said is there a way to check that? Also I still have the POV installed, so I wouldn't think that this would be the problem, but I'm looking into anything that might help with this problem that I keep haveing.

One more thing, the first time I put her back together She ran like a dream, all except for the fact that a loud clicking/clangy noise could be heard when the turbo would spool up to its stock boost, (5.1) psi, or (6.1) can't remember, but it would only do it under full throttle, such as a heavy acceleration from a stop light. You can hear the turbo spool without any problems, you can feel the turbo kick inn, but is it possible that the entire assembly is bad? Help, for this is starting to get fustrateing.

Any and all Comments are welcome, Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
"a loud clicking/clangy noise could be heard when the turbo would spool up"

Detonation.... Will kill a head gasket, quick.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is this a joke post? If not..that noise you keep hearing under full throttle is detonation, your using n/a pistons like me, are you using regular gas? If so, that is why its pinging, you have to use super (93 or higher) with the higher compression..and get an intercooler...no more detonation even at 13+ psi..this is why your blowing headgaskets

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
yup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
detonation...I thought about this and didn't think it was detonating, only for the reason that I have never used any grade lower than 91. I wouldn't think that it would detonate with an 90+ grade but I have been wrong in the past....any other ideas or comments?

I willl be useing a higher grade for the next time around now that this was brought to my attention

·
Registered
657 Posts
Extreme:

if you injectors leaking on the outside Id fix that quick.. I had a leaking injector...... thought id fix it on the weekend, well on that friday morning she caught fire........... now ive got one **** of a headache.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.