Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm about to buy a '78 280z, originally with automatic transmission and R180 rear end. I also found an R200 from an '80 280zx (manual transmission). Questions: 1) is this a straight bolt-in fit (with the right mustache bar); 2) what gear ratios were available that year, and how can I tell which is which?

-Michael

·
Registered
205 Posts
zhome.com has the ratios listed for all diffs and years. as for the swap, it requires a little more that just switching the bar (i think). there is a great post on this on geocities, but i don't have the exact address. maybe someone knows and could post.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: look at the side axles

You will have to change the side axles if both diffs are original, as the auto 78 should have a single bolt going into the side of the diff through the axle, and the
5spd r200 should have a 4 bolt flange. Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Try this and Search the Forum!</b>

No offense, Michael, but this is a great example of how Search the Forum can provide volumes of info, which cannot be repeated here. This question and many like it, have been asked many many times (by me too!). This is a very popular upgrade and alot has been written about it.
Check it out by clicking Search the Forum at the top of this list.

I've included a great starting point for you:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/

This is Bryan Little's extensive writeup on many mods, including the R200 upgrade which most of us have referenced.

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.