ZCar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
I'd be happier with jackstands that had more capacity, but since the load will be distributed four ways, the math works and it should be safe.

Considering future potential uses, my suggestion would be to discard the 2-tonners and get 3-tonners either before or after you finish using them this time.

And after writing that, I will check my own jackstands.....which held my 280ZX up for about four years.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
BTW, jackstands are something I'd be OK buying at a pawn shop or via Craigslist if possible. Provided they have no broken welds, there's not much that can go wrong with them. Many times the labeling will still be on them and you can check their capacity. I checked and the new 3-tonners tend to go for $40-$50 a pair. I hadn't bought any in a while and didn't realize they had gone up so much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already had a pair of 2-tonners but I got another pair of 3-tonners and crisscrossed them so that there was a 2-ton and 3-ton in the front and then a 3-ton and 2-ton in the back.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wouldn't crisscross them, use the 3T in the front and 2T for the rears. Use the factory jackstand points. As long as the stands are on a solid surface (concrete), you can have your car up for as long as you'd like.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
I agree in principle. The front end is a tad heavier (only 1-2%) than the rear, so I'd put the higher capacity ones there by choice.

But on a practical basis, if you already have it up on the stands, I'm not sure it's worth changing things around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I already have it up. I had to get it up quickly. I will remember what you guys said for next time I put it up. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would four 2-ton jack stands be ok at holding my 1990 z32 up a foot for a couple months?
Lets see - 4 x 2 x 2000 pounds = 16000 pounds. Should be good for 4 cars if you stack cars carefully. Real world the 2 ton stands should be more than adequate - anyone who says you need 3 ton stands is going for extra overkill. Just make sure you use good jack points to avoid damage to car. And no problem mixing and not matching load capacity just make sure all 4 are carrying weight - if you mismatch, different heights would be my only concern, not load capacity. And as for buying used, a while back there were some jack stands recalled for bad welds. Best, Zed

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im not reading this entire thread but just be careful if you have older Harbor Freight jackstands. There was a big recall a year or so ago. Google it to see if you do...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would four 2-ton jack stands be ok at holding my 1990 z32 up a foot for a couple months?
They're more than adequate. Your Z car only weighs 1.5 - 2 tons if that much and the jack stands can support a total of 8 tons. My 73 240Z is currently working spending the winter on 2 ton Jack stands as it does every winter. I place a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under each jack stand so they don't dig into the concrete floor

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lets see - 4 x 2 x 2000 pounds = 16000 pounds. Should be good for 4 cars if you stack cars carefully. Real world the 2 ton stands should be more than adequate - anyone who says you need 3 ton stands is going for extra overkill. Just make sure you use good jack points to avoid damage to car. And no problem mixing and not matching load capacity just make sure all 4 are carrying weight - if you mismatch, different heights would be my only concern, not load capacity. And as for buying used, a while back there were some jack stands recalled for bad welds. Best, Zed
^^^I don't think this math is 100% accurate.

Jack stands are always rated as pairs, 2T stands will safely hold a working load of 2T with two stands.

2T=2000Kg=roughly 4400lbs per pair. Therefore, four 2T stands will hold 8800lbs safely.

Our Z32 are 3700lbs max. so you are safe weight wise.

3T stands can help when you need extra height if removing transmission from under the car.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
Thank you! I didn't realize that stands are rated per pair. A pair of 3,000 pound stands are rated to hold a total of 3 tons, 6,000 pounds.

Therefore a pair of two-ton stands would be rated to hold 4,000 pounds....so one pair in front and one at the rear would provide plenty of capacity for any Z-car. The cars weight is close to 50/50 front/rear, so there is safety there.

·
Registered
late 1970 Series 1 240Z
68 Posts
You guys are having to much fun. But your information is good. On the two ton stand get the quick release style instead of the pin style. Yes there are still some of those old styles out there. If you need height, get 6 toners.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
You guys are having to much fun. But your information is good. On the two ton stand get the quick release style instead of the pin style. Yes there are still some of those old styles out there. If you need height, get 6 toners.
Good point. I probably have at least four pairs of jackstands, and one is the old pin style. I bet I've had those 40+ years.

EDIT: Thought I'd add a note about safety.

Some jackstands have small footprints, meaning they put a lot of weight on small feet. I work on a concrete surface part of the time, but my driveway is asphalt and on a hot day it's not the most solid surface.

I keep a half-dozen cut off pieces of 2x12 around. Essentially they're approximately 1 foot square, and they're very solid and don't tend to crack or split. They serve two purposes: first, if I have to use jackstands in the driveway on a hot day, I put one under each jackstand to assure a solid surface that the jackstand won't sink into. Second, if I need to lift the car a bit more than the jack stand's maximum extension, I can stack 2-3 of these 2x12 support pads under each jackstand.

Of course, I am very careful to stack them carefully and triple-check that all mounting points are quite stable before I get under the car.

·
Registered
late 1970 Series 1 240Z
68 Posts
pilgrim,
Excellent information. I did not think about that issue but your correct. If I may add something, before you fully lower the jack, shake the car, see if it moves. Adjust as required and try again.
Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts