ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I have an 81 ZXT which currently is in the stock trim Motor-wise. I am wanting to get around 300-400HP by the end of mods. I now that I will need to increase Boost by altering the wastegate and insert a boost-responsive fuel regulator and a intercooler. My question comes in the form of the electronics. I have looked into all the aftermaket Digital sysytems(TEC/Haltech/SDS), but they are too **** expensive. I want to assure myself that when I increase the boost on the stock turbo that it will not detinate and destroy the motor. Eventually I plan on going to the hybrid T3/T4 setup so I will need some compatibility with the electronics. What should/can I do and still save the wallet?

·
Registered
863 Posts
> To start off, I have an 81 ZXT which
> currently is in the stock trim Motor-wise. I
> am wanting to get around 300-400HP by the
> end of mods. I now that I will need to
> increase Boost by altering the wastegate and
> insert a boost-responsive fuel regulator and
> a intercooler. My question comes in the form
> of the electronics. I have looked into all
> the aftermaket Digital
> sysytems(TEC/Haltech/SDS), but they are too
> **** expensive. I want to assure myself that
> when I increase the boost on the stock turbo
> that it will not detinate and destroy the
> motor. Eventually I plan on going to the
> hybrid T3/T4 setup so I will need some
> compatibility with the electronics. What
> should/can I do and still save the wallet?
The Electromotive TECII system is excellent (I have it I know). Its not just a programable fuel map, but a total engine control plus a direct fire ignition system (no more distributer). You get to set your ignition curve, fuel map, rpm limiter, injector firing pattern, everything.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
how much does somthing like that run for?
Im looking at one day running 13-14 PSI for street use if my car ever runs again

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> how much does somthing like that run for?
> Im looking at one day running 13-14 PSI for
> street use if my car ever runs
> again

> Jeff 280ZXT

Well Jeffzxt---the TECII systems that I have been pricing are around $1700------which is the price of a fair condition Z. That is just a little to much if you know what I am saying. The other systems are $1500 each after you buy all the extra essentials. The price for the TECII is from TEP and is alredy configured for the Z.

Turbo Gods, I need cheap fixes not the price of another car!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Thou shalt not possess 300-400HP for $cheap.

> Well Jeffzxt---the TECII systems that I have
> been pricing are around $1700------which is
> the price of a fair condition Z. That is
> just a little to much if you know what I am
> saying. The other systems are $1500 each
> after you buy all the extra essentials. The
> price for the TECII is from TEP and is
> alredy configured for the Z.

> Turbo Gods, I need cheap fixes not the price
> of another car!!!!!!!!!!!

300-400HP does not come cheap, it's as simple as that. If you want acceleration then consider getting a 4.11 or 4.44 diff. A 4.44 diff is definately nothing to be sneezed at, a friend of mine with an RX2(12A turbo - 11-21psi) put a 4.44 on it and 1st gear is now absolutely useless in a drag(too much torque at the wheels), of course, this car would be getting about 300HP at the flywheel, weighs 920kg including driver, and the whole package cost $4000, another example of how extremely not-cheap speed is(low 13s and possibly high 12s make it worthwhile).

I hear nitrous kits are comparitively cheap, and 50HP at low revs(companies/people are never specific about power gains, I'm assuming it increases the whole powerband) means a LOT of torque(acceleration). You'd have to strengthen your engine to do it safely, but it could end out cheaper than $1500. Power is never cheap though.

Project#2501

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.