ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, once again, I have more $$$ than cents, so I am putting the car in the shop while I don't drive it much during the winter.

I currently have a 16 pound flywheel. If I go to the 10 or 11 pound flywheel from HKS or Arizona Speed and Marine, or Arizona Z car, what should I expect? Will the car accelerate just as hard as it does now? Will it accelerate better both on and off the highway? Is it going to take a more heavy duty clutch, or a less heavy duty clutch to run one of the things? Will the rpm, slow down as fast or faster than it does with my 16 pound flywheel, when I take ot out of gear, and between gears? Is it going to effect my gas milage?

I'm, going with a Centerforce II clutch. I really need something with some grabing ability, that is going to last me awhile. My last clutch lasted all of about a month, under normal street driving, and when I would jump on it, it would just slip and slip and slip and. . .

So, how much is pedal pressure affected with the Centerfrce II?

I'm also still looking for some stronger synchro rings. Any ideas in this area are much appreciated. I wish I had the money to have some made out of custom Cromoly, or Magnesium, or TITANIUM would be nice! (Keep dreamin' Chris)

OK guys, any help you can pass along, will be great.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
> OK folks, once again, I have more $$$ than
> cents, so I am putting the car in the shop
> while I don't drive it much during the
> winter.

> I currently have a 16 pound flywheel. If I
> go to the 10 or 11 pound flywheel from HKS
> or Arizona Speed and Marine, or Arizona Z
> car, what should I expect? Will the car
> accelerate just as hard as it does now? Will
> it accelerate better both on and off the
> highway? Is it going to take a more heavy
> duty clutch, or a less heavy duty clutch to
> run one of the things? Will the rpm, slow
> down as fast or faster than it does with my
> 16 pound flywheel, when I take ot out of
> gear, and between gears? Is it going to
> effect my gas milage?

> I'm, going with a Centerforce II clutch. I
> really need something with some grabing
> ability, that is going to last me awhile. My
> last clutch lasted all of about a month,
> under normal street driving, and when I
> would jump on it, it would just slip and
> slip and slip and. . .

> So, how much is pedal pressure affected with
> the Centerfrce II?

> I'm also still looking for some stronger
> synchro rings. Any ideas in this area are
> much appreciated. I wish I had the money to
> have some made out of custom Cromoly, or
> Magnesium, or TITANIUM would be nice! (Keep
> dreamin' Chris)

> OK guys, any help you can pass along, will
> be great.

> Thanks in advance,

> Chris Behney
> Redline Autosports

Chris,
Flywheel weight is kind of a two-edged sword. The heavier it is the more flywheel inertia it has which helps with the initial launch off the line. The higher inertia, however, reduces the engines ability to accellerate once launched. Do you need your extra punch on the low end or on the high end? If you are coming off the line great and need a little more further up the RPM chain then go for the lighter flywheel. If the engine wraps up great but is a bit sluggish coming off the line then go for the heavier flywheel. Everything on these cars is a trade-off.
Merry Christmas,
Phantom

·
Registered
625 Posts
> Chris,
> Flywheel weight is kind of a two-edged
> sword. The heavier it is the more flywheel
> inertia it has which helps with the initial
> launch off the line. The higher inertia,
> however, reduces the engines ability to
> accellerate once launched. Do you need your
> extra punch on the low end or on the high
> end? If you are coming off the line great
> and need a little more further up the RPM
> chain then go for the lighter flywheel. If
> the engine wraps up great but is a bit
> sluggish coming off the line then go for the
> heavier flywheel. Everything on these cars
> is a trade-off.
> Merry Christmas,
> Phantom
Hey Chris, I was looking at some site on the web and a guy with a 3.1 said he was going to go to the 10 lb flywheel due to the fact he felt the the stock flywheel at 24 lb was to hard on his engine.With all the low end torque you are making, this ought to be a good addition to your car! By the way I did some reverifying of my tach and it turned out it was way off 8000 rpm was actually 7200 rpm.I always wondered why the pistons never broke, now I know. Later,norm

·
Registered
361 Posts
Chris,
I have the Centerforce 13lb flywheel and love it. I am running a Centerforce II with the lwt flywheel. It revs right up like a race car. It is a noticable difference over a stock flywheel. As far as driveablility, I have no problem, as does my sister who occasionally drives it. There is a differece in acceleration, and since we are both running the 3.1, I don't see launching as a problem, so much as traction is a problem. And HKS no longer makes the 10lb flywheels, If you order from Motorsport Auto, they will give you the 13lb Centerforce Flywheel. If you are dead set on a 10 lb flywheel, order it from Arizona Z, the price is about the same. Those are really your only two sources for the lightweight flywheels.
And with regards to the Centerforce II and drivablility, no probs whatsoever. Just make sure you break it in like you would any clutch that you would want to last a long time. If you run it 100% right away, any clutch will go bad. You need 500+ miles of normal driving before you go hog out on it. This helps bed it in and match the friction surfaces to the flywheel/pressure plate. If you want a really hard launch, consider the dual friction. It doesnn't have the takeup like a stock clutch, but it grabs. I would stick with the Centerforce II. Something you might consider, is to order a turbo flywheel and get the clutch for it. You will then have a higher pressure clutch,(I am talking about the lwt flywheel and centerforce cluthes). But the centerforce 13lb flywheel is not made for the larger turbo clutch. Arizona Z has the larger flywheels.
-Bob Hanvey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.