ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I own a 1984 300zx 50th Anniversary... and, well... the most terrible thing happened... I blew an 1'' round hole in my #4 piston. When this happened I initially thought it was a head gasket but I was obviously wrong. I bought a 1984 300zx N/A for $250 and was planning on parting it out and keeping what I needed for myself (so if anyone needs some parts let me know). Anywho, I was wondering if it is at all possible or a good Idea to use the N/A pistons in my Turbo... I know that the Turbo pistons are dished out giving a compression ratio of 7.80:1, but I dont have a clue as to what the N/A is... Would it hurt to put the flat top pistons in to bump up the compression? I figured that if I did I would probably have to use a brass head gasket to make up for the rise in compression. If anyone knows anything that may help me out... please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I just read the post about a guy basically wanting to know the same stuff as me about wether or not he can turbo a N/A block and get away with it... and I'm printing it off right now so I can study. But... It only 1/2 answered my question... I got an Idea... Anyone have some Turbo Pistons they'd sell me??? All I really need is one... lol!

·
Registered
154 Posts
how about this i just sell you a whole motor for like 500 dollars

·
Registered
248 Posts
yes you can use your n/a pistons...I run 14psi intercooled on n/a pistons... it is significantly quicker and much much more responsive than a turbo block...as long as it is in tune you can push HUGE hp on an n/a block

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
This is a huge debate, you can do both, but the chances of detonation ARE higher on a N/A block, and youre margin for tuning errors increase.

Mike, Im not saying that you cant use youre setup, as a mater a fact the higher compression motor will have better off boost response, your right, but you have higher thermal stresses going on inside youre engine as compared to a lower CR motor. It will not last that long. Ive been there allready.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well then... so... if I do this I need to a) retard the timing by ??? b) keep my boost at stock c) pray for the best d) and start saving up for a new motor entirely... lol. I just need to get this car so I can drive it again. I don't care too much about it being super fast... I just need to get my wheels back up and running.

So, 88Hybrid... what should I do all in all to reduce the chances of detonation? what are "cold" spark plugs? would a brass head gasket be a good idea? do those still exist?

Thank you all for your input... this is all verry helpful...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can buy plugs with different heat ranges. Basicly, the plug does not spark as hot. Helps decrease cylinder temps. Used in high boost turbo cars, or any car with super high CR. If you cannot stop detonation without pulling timing WAY back, a "cold" plug will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alrighty then... you guys have been awesome help. There is one more thing I need to know... Guidelines for retarding my timing... and such... I feel like there are still a few things that I need to know but I don't know what it is. I'll keep you all updated and let you know how things are going.

Thanks again!
Luke

1984 Nissan 300zx 50 AE... Nothing Special... Verry clean, new paint... all #'s match.

1984 Nissan 300zx N/A... P.O.S. Parts car... Will sell anything I'm not in nees of... which is most of the car...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I got everything swaped over and I'm getting ready to bolt on my intake mainifold and put the belts all back on... But no one answered a very critical question of mine... Where should my timing be set? I know the stock timing for both the Turbo and the N/a is supposed to be at 20 BTdC +\- 2 (or so the book says)... So, would 15 BTdC be a good starting point? or do I need to got the other way... 25-30 BTDC? Yes, I am a retard when it comes to this stuff...

Thanks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.