ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I put a K&N on my car and after that thought I would check my timing. From what I understand our cars use centrifugal advance which doesn't really kick in until about 1000-1200 RPM so nothing would need to be unhooked. So I hook up the light and check it and it seems to be set at about 35 (past the last mark on the right). So I set the car to 20 like its supposed to be and it ran like crap. I put a timing belt on not long ago and all the marks were lined up and it runs fine so I'm thinking maybe the distributor may be incorrectly installed but then again, it wouldnt run right. Is it possible for something to slip and the timing marks become inaccurate? I set the timing to 30 according to the marks which is more retarded than it was when I started. Any help would be appreciated.

I want this to be right because I am about to increase boost, and I don't want detonation. Thanks a lot.

P.S. - To those people who think I am a moron: I'm a lazy person, I have a bad memory. I don't like to study. If I am ever wrong when giving advice, please correct me. I would love to have a blueprint of my engine and know what diameter the valve stems are and where the bolts on my engine were made, but like I said, I'm lazy...lol.

Post Edited (May 6, 10:56am)

·
Registered
657 Posts
what grade fuel are you running............. i just started running 87 in mine last week because of the gas prices.......... i had to advance my timming because it was pinging at low RMP's..........

·
Registered
397 Posts
if the dist. was one tooth of and the timing bbelt was set to the dist position it could run properly and the marks not line up. i bought an 88 for my daughter and when the timing belt was replaced before i bought it, it was like this. in this case a timing light is useless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.