ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new motor this week for my 280Z. It is suppose to be a 83 ZXT. I have seen the motor and it looks good. It has a P90A head on it. Is that the Hydraulic head? Also how can I tell the difference between a 83 distributor and a 81-82 distributor. Does anyone have pictures? And if you do will you mail them to me? Also what can I strip off of the motor? There seems to be lots of electronics all over the motor. Is any of it unnecessary? One last thing, I hope to connect a TSi IC on the car (Same as Starion I think) and would like to have some idea of how to hook it up. Again Pics, help...

PinkZGirl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
> I am getting a new motor this week for my
> 280Z. It is suppose to be a 83 ZXT. I have
> seen the motor and it looks good. It has a
> P90A head on it. Is that the Hydraulic head?
> Also how can I tell the difference between a
> 83 distributor and a 81-82 distributor. Does
> anyone have pictures? And if you do will you
> mail them to me? Also what can I strip off
> of the motor? There seems to be lots of
> electronics all over the motor. Is any of it
> unnecessary? One last thing, I hope to
> connect a TSi IC on the car (Same as Starion
> I think) and would like to have some idea of
> how to hook it up. Again Pics, help...

> PinkZGirl

Hi Pink

that is the hydraulic head, a great find!! I put a zxt motor in my '78 and stripped all the stuff off the intake manifold and sanded it smooth and painted it. now it only has the vacuum ports for the fuel regulator and power brakes and air conditioning. BUT I also put a programmable computer in it to replace all the functions of those electronics. where are you located? there is a car in Arlington, Tx at a local shop that has that IC setup you can look at and measure and probably photograph. I do not know about the distributors...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

What kind of EFI system did you use? Was it expensive, and of course... Got any pictures? :p
I would like to upgrade to a aftermarket EFI system but I have a handful just trying to figure out how to get the new motor installed.. But I would like to go to after market at some point. Hey my AFM is kinda flaky, do you still have any of your old EFI stuff? If so I might want to buy it.. Thanks for all your help. And let me know if you have any pics of your ride!

PinkZGirl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
> Thanks!

> What kind of EFI system did you use? Was it
> expensive, and of course... Got any
> pictures? :p
> I would like to upgrade to a aftermarket EFI
> system but I have a handful just trying to
> figure out how to get the new motor
> installed.. But I would like to go to after
> market at some point. Hey my AFM is kinda
> flaky, do you still have any of your old EFI
> stuff? If so I might want to buy it.. Thanks
> for all your help. And let me know if you
> have any pics of your ride!

> PinkZGirl
Not EFI, think in terms of the '90s' not the '70's... I went with DFI (Accel, that is!!!) Yes I have all my old stuff. LMK what you need, I probably have it from the stock turbo and my original '78 motor and system was working perfect when it was removed. I just wanted more... you know the feeling!! I have plenty of pics but no way to scan them. my car is in the Dallas/FW area if you are ever out this way check it out. It was not expensive for what I got, just took a lot of time and patience in the tuning area.

Tim '78ZT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! I need a 83 Distributer and a good turbo AFM. Let me know what you how much or if you need anything (as far as in trade). This would be a huge help!!!

PinkZGirl

P.S. You can E-mail me to work out the details..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Re: AFM and dist.

> Cool! I need a 83 Distributer and a good
> turbo AFM. Let me know what you how much or
> if you need anything (as far as in trade).
> This would be a huge help!!!

> PinkZGirl

> P.S. You can E-mail me to work out the
> details..

hi, Pink

What is wrong with your AFM? I don't have a turbo AFM but give me a part# and I'll check around. Also give me an i.d. on the dist. if you have it and I can match it up. I don't know what year my extra dist. is, but it has a part # on the side.

I'm always looking for a set of Eibach Progressive springs snd some strut tower braces...

Tim '78zt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: AFM and dist.

Well, my AFM, I have been told, has been opened and is not in the correct calibration. Now, I am NOT a mechanic, and did not have the luxury of daddy taking me out into the garage and show me how to work on cars. So I am mostly self taught and learned most of it here on the board.. But the AFM has been opened and was not resealed. I am having some friends help me move the motor to the other car. He is farther along on a similar project and has given me a pile of parts but I don't know what most of them are yet. As for the distributor, he told me that the one I have is the right kind. He was afraid I had the old type of turbo distributor that was inferior to the '83. So I think I am ok on that account. I am working on learning as much as I can so I don't ask too many dumb questions and don't have to rely on others as much. I want to put an intercooler on it at some point but am a little intimidated on how it would go in. Just looking at this mess of wires and parts on the ground, I don't have ANY idea how to stuff it into my little z... As for the AFM, where can I find the # on it?

PinkZGirl
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top