ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a 77Z w/ what I believe is a 22 year- old "dealer-added" A/C that I have seen on some 77-78 Zs. It has a knob/rheostat in a little molded black box attached under the dash just above your right knee, and the receiver/ drier and all plumbing is on the driver's side {unlike the factory system} along with a compressor of unknown type, but in the "stock" location. It works ok but has a small leak-it needs to be charged once per season. Does anybody know if the factory system works better/more efficiently than this old "add-on" system? The factory system certainly looks better, and I wonder how difficult (and how much $) it would be to swap out the parts for the factory system-probably from a parts car. If I take the time to switch it out could I possibly switch to R-134 freon? I believe the wiring harness b/t A/C and non-A/C 77 Zs are the same. Any guidance would be appreciated. Feel free to post here or email me with info. Thanks from Humid Houston!

·
Registered
406 Posts
RE: Questions about "dealer added" A/C o

William,

I have the after factory system for the '77 280Z which you describe. As best as I recall, it cools just as well as the original air conditioning system however, it has been quite awhile since I rode in a 77Z with factory air.

The after factory is a much less complicated system with far less to break down. However, the blower motor on the '77 280Z is much too weak to keep the car cool in Houston or in Dallas where I live. The humidity here is almost as bad as that in Houston. My interior is black and the car is a medium maroon and it is almost intolerable from June to September. I have been unable to find anyone locally or in the newsgroups who has adapted a different and higher speed blower motor to this particular Z model. I thought that it may just be my blower motor but last year the plastic fan shattered and I had to replace the entire system (motor and fan) and the new motor runs at the same speed as the old one.

If we could find an adaptable motor from a different car, it would pretty much clear up our heat problem.

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
RE: Questions about "dealer added" A/C o

I just had to respond.My 78 has factory AC and I live in Florida.My Z is Sky Blue but has black Interior.The Factory AC does great keeping cool if you run it full blast.It would probably run even better if I got the windows tinted. 21 years old and still original AC!!!To say the least I'm impressed.Now if only Nissan had that kind of dependability today.Oh yeah,anybody hear anything else about the new Z car.I'm hoping that they get pressure to release in 2000.Here's hoping........Dum da dum......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.