ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorsport Auto sells a rebuilt steering rack for $363.95 plus a $150 core charge. Victoria British seels a rebuilt steering rack for $299.95 plus a $60 core charge. Has anyone had any experience with either source for a rebuilt rack? What is new or replaced on these rebuilt racks? I've been told that quality among rebuilders is variable and some simply replace the seals and give the rack the old rattle can paint job. Other people literally remanufacture the steering rack and inspect and replace all worn parts.

Any advice on which source is best? I'm rebuilding my suspension and feel that a 30 year old steering rack is likely in need of replacement. I'm replacing nearly every other suspension component so I didn't want to skimp on the rack.

Thanks in advance for your advice ...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Re: Question on quality of rebuilt steering racks

i dont think the rack needs replacement unless its giving you problems.. if its not a power rack not all that much can go wrong.. since you said its 30 years old then it must be a 240. manual rack. but it would be a shame to have to go back in after a few months or so to replace the rack. try Big A auto parts if you have one near you or strauss or pep boys or if worse comes to worse carquest or napa.. they will have the same quality rack as vic brit and MSA..probably alot cheaper.. try and get trw or a-1 cardone.. try lieing and tell them you work at a shop that you know has an account there .. instead of 300 itll be 150.. just go in greasy. ive done it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.