Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is probably a simple question, but would there be any benifit to using an intercooler withount a Turbo? IE will it cool the intake charge down enought to be signifigant in a normaly aspirated engine? I have never worked with one, so I do not know if they freely flow air, or if it has to be sucked through IE what the Turbo basicly does. Does anyone know?

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Question on Intercoolers</b>

No it would not be worth the extra weight, time, expense of putting on an intercooler . You would get about as much power in the winter time . Sorry to stomp on your idea, don't despare your thinking is in the right direction . Using cold air from up front with a cone K&N better way to go . If you are looking into mid range mod's for Z webber's cam etc look at a turbo motor transplant from a ZX it cheaper than you think and fairly easy . Although I have never know this to stay stock turbo for too long .

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
on a small, mobile powerplant, there is no "intercooling" that would be efficient-like Clint says. You want the coolest air available for your car, to make the most HP. (More air, more fuel=more HP)
On stationary powerplants, the dollars required to reach theoretical ideals are more easily justified, therefore you sometimes see "charge air coolers" to drop intake air temp using evaporative coolers (water injection) etc. Not for something you move around on four wheels though. Turbos heat the air (2-300 degrees is not uncommon) and to cool that down so it doesn't pre-ignite the fuel charge when it's compressed again in the cylinder by the piston--hence intercooling. A turbo is like a 13 or 14:1 compression ratio, you just compress 1.5 or 2:1 outside the engine, then another 7.5 or 8:1 inside the engine. I'll shutup now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.