ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into the starion or volvo intercooler sence I dont have alot of money so trying to get the best for less sence on a budget. Any suggestion on which intercooler would be great. also If anyone has specs or demensions of the starion unit that would be great,Last question is any idea what this intercoolers can go up to thats in hp?
Thanks in advance
Ron
email [email protected]

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi, yesterday i was lucky enough to find an oil cooler from a 87 starion. The size is tight, however, the adapter from the oil filter housing will not fit for z from my measurement. Comments/ suggestions?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have an 82 280zxT and I used a intercooler from a toyota supra (I think '87). anyway, I bought the intercooler for 100 bucks and I got some aluminium elbows and silicon joints from HKS. The plumbing actually costed me more than the intercooler itself (I didn't really shop around though).
Which ever way you decide to go, I've heard a lot of people have used the intercoolers from starions, volvos and supras. I'm pretty sure the starions and supras have a 2" ID so it hooks up really easy. After I dropped the intercooler in and turned up the boost (7 to 10psi) it felt like 20 hp. BTW: my supra intecooler fits in very nicely
Hope this helps....good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The Starion I/C core has the following dimensions: 8"H x 16"W x 2.75" thick and the pipes are a tad under 2". The 2 tanks add another 4" to the width. Positioned correctly, both pipes can be on the drivers side. Scott280ZXT is correct in that the plumbing COULD cost you more than the I/C. Since the pipes are so small, you might look into another plumbing alternative. There is a special hose, BellowsFlex, that MIGHT work in place of bending pipes and silicone hose connectors. It is very durable and can make gentle bends (no pun intended) without crimping. The turbo outlet is 2" but you would still need a step-up as the TB is 2.25".

I have one for sale that I cant seem to give away for $50.

Scottie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.