ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a turbo for my 83. i called roger at Z-barn, he has a center section from a 300zx. he says it will work with housings that I have. Is this correct? Also he said that this one is water cooled, thats why i want to get that one. my Question is will this thing bolt up to my stock housing with out any problems. Also I have to plum water line to this. Were would i get my water inlet from, could I tap into one of the heater hose lines. And were should i have my water outlet dumped into? Also what kind of fittings are on this turbo for the water, like can u use a hose with clamp or is it some other kind of fitting? Is the oil in-let fitting the same?

Have any of you done this before? Any pros and cons?

Thanks,
Steve
83zxt

· Registered
996 Posts
Steve-There was a guy who haunted this forum that had a similar setup. He tapped the line going out of the throttle body and all worked well. He really liked the setup but if I remember correctly, he changed it out to a t3/t4 hybrid with intercooler.
Dan

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction

I called the guy back at Z-barn, turns out that the turbo is a garret replacement t3 turbo not one off a 300zx. An he tells me that it doesn't HAVE to be water cooled, It just has the castings for the water. Has any one ever heard of this turbo before, can it bolt up to my housings without problems. If I can get this to fit I do plan on water cooling it in the future, its just I'm stuck without a car right now so I have noway of getting fittings.

· Registered
5,829 Posts
Re: Correction

Why dont you call Dolby at turbo power and see how much he wants fot a cartriges replacement. I think it not to expensive. You can find their number on my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt just click on the turbo thumb and the numbers are at the bottom of the page.

· Registered
171 Posts
It will work fine

I am running a 300zx T3 turbo on my 83 280zx. It bolts up perfectly but you need to attach the 280zx outlet/wastegate elbow to the 300zx unit. Most likely you will break the bolts off your old 280zx turbo, but don't worry about that if the old bearing housing is worn out anyway. Just get some new grade 8 bolts. I tapped water from the Throttlebody and Thermostat Housing but needed to modify the stock 300zx steel water lines to connect to the turbo and fit in the 280zx int/exh setup. Works fine so far. I hear the water cooled turbos are nearly indestructable.

· Registered
600 Posts
Re: It will work fine

Z Parts,
Keep the 300ZX downpipe! It flows better. Have a local muffler shop weld/adapt the exhaust pipe to fit and you will be better off. Eboling1's way will work with out any mods, but for what little this will cost, I'd do it. Whit a minute!......I did do it! to my turbo!
Retro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.