ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With [email protected] RMS to work with, what would you guys recommend for a subwoofer?

Yes, I realize that most subs are power hungry, but I'm lookin for a 10" subwoofer, preferrably SVC (to work withthe 4 ohm impedance). I am running this froma 5-ch amp that is already installed and running infninity front components and rear components. the 5th sub channel is currently hooked up to the deck, but no sub is connected.

The best sub I've come across so far that has high sensitivity (good for turning power into sound) is the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1. At 94 db sensitivity, it beats almost every other 10" buy 4+ db which is a lot in the audio world.

Just lookin for some other suggestions.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I think your best bet would be a low wattage 8" SVC sub.

The ones Crutchfield lists are the following (Keep in mind you really only need to fill the 80% RMS of the woffer since you will almost never hit the full RMS rating. If you did you might blow the speaker anyway so it's best to let the amp cut it off.)

RF Punch Stage 1 = 50-150 RMS SVC 4 ohm
RF Punch Stage 2 = 50-200 RMS SVC 4 ohm <-best bet
Sony XS-L82P5 = 40-200 RMS SVC 4 ohm
MTX Thunder4500 = 30-100 RMS SVC 4 ohm
Polk Audio MM 2084 = 30-200 RMS SVC 4 ohm
Kicker Comp = 50-200 RMS SVC 4 ohm

All are 8" once you get to the 10" you will be looking at ranges well above what your amp can handle (75-300+).

·
Registered
673 Posts
well one thing you dont wanna do is underpower your sub. if you have 120W to work with, you usually want that to be about 80% of the sub's handling. so ideally you want a sub that handles 150w RMS. infinity is a great sub... but you wont be getting anywhere near its full potential unless you grab a second amp that'll put out at least 300w.

if you're planning on upgrading amps i'd say go for the infinity, otherwise you might wanna look for something else. here's an amazing sub that will take up WAY less room and is supposed to have amazing sound...

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=15&pid=32&cur=USD

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i don't want to change amps because i don't think there is another sub out there that has 5 channel operation and fits under the passenger seat. The eclipse amp i have barely does. I'm not looking for booming bass. Merely enough to round out the sound stage. I listen to rock and country mostly with a bit of pop/r&b/rap mixed in. So I don't need extreme power/ high spl subwoofers. The reason I was looking at 10" is just to cover the frequency range. The 94 db sensitivity thing caught my eye since it would turn the little power I have into sound more readily than another would.

but keep 'em coming! I'm just gathering information/ soaking up some knowledge here. spitfire that sub looks cool, but i'm not sure it would really match my application being only 6.5". May have great sound output, but I don't think it would be able to run with 10" subs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
yeah, i wish i could tell you how it sounds.... i've only read reviews on it and from everything i've heard it's a wicked sub and most people say it performs as well or better than most 10" subs. but like i said, ive just never heard it myself. i'm really tempted to buy one and see how it sounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.