ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a tt swap in my future. Is it worthwhile to build a stage III+ monster or just keep it a stage III. The car will be primarily use as a weekend/date car. Would like other owners thoughts who have a stage III and gone to a III+ configuration. If I go bigger turbos, it would be a JWT 530BB.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
My opinion:

Stage III-IV is all you will ever need for a weekend/fun car. Beyond that, you're spending a lot more money and incurring much higher stress on the vehicle and all of it's components. Stage III-IV with stock turbos and stock fuel system will still pump out north of 400 BHP.

I'll give you my setup as an example:

For power, I've got upgraded ECU at 14.5 psi, intake and full exhaust, and underdrive pulley. I've just added a Fidanza flywheel and RPS clutch, 1 piece driveshaft. I'm upgrading brake components and leaving the suspension stock for now. I'm estimating 375+ HP to the wheels. I do not plan on increasing power levels beyond that, because my car will see limited track use and be used primarily as a "fun car."

If you modify a TT to similar levels, will be faster than 95% of the cars on the road, and is much cheaper than an engine pull and huge power build. How fast do you need to get your wife to dinner and a movie, anyway? :^)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Stage III is a kick in the pants. Awesome - probably the perfect turbo car level. IV and V are more fun, but there is a drastic rise in cost/expense and then you start leaving the realm of daily drivability and begin to head to track/race use only.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife spends alot of time getting ready so a faster car may be an option (LOL). I was thinking of the same lines. I will probably keep the car at a stage three, just add alot of bling to the engine. I will probably talk to Tim (silvertwinOH) and Brett about the internals and auto tranny upgrade.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
you shouldnt need internals for a stage III, unless your planning on a future upgrade/build.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Tim can run off a list for you of any level you want to be at. Just call or email him to talk about your ideas. You won't have to crack open the engine at all to hit Stage III or IV.

The tranny build Tim will recommend is relatively expensive, but it's been nuclear bomb-proof.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
thats going to be a sweet stage III for 25k-plenty of bling i suppose

and i see where your going now on the internals

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The next question would be what would be cheaper, rebuild an old engine (I don't trust the internals from an old engine) or buy crated brand new crated tt engine from Nissan (i.e Courtesy, Coz, IPP).

Post Edited (Jan 18, 11:23am)

1,096 Posts
I would say rebuild it. b/c then you could go in with all new and forged internals, even if you don't ever push the power past stage 3 at least they are there if you need them. Or if nothing else piece of mind. Better to over build it then to under build it.

Ryan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Power is addictive, once you get some you'll just want more so might as well go get it. =)

Then is the perfect time to do it, everything is out and ready to be replaced. The nice thing about boost controllers is that you can turn them off for just "out on the town" driving but you also know that all it takes is the push of a button to "Hulk-Up" your ride.

Here is somewhat of a mock-up of what I would do if I were in your shoes:

1. You already mentioned JWT530BB turbos, excellent choice. Very streetable with nice power potential.
2. Rebuild a nice core engine, new OEM long blocks are entirely too expensive and I am with you on this as I don't trust used engines. Internals would go along with the rebuild, Wiesco pistons are relatively cheap and are nice pieces. You can pick up some connecting rods for a reasonable price as well. In your case I would stick with stock cams.
3. Injectors (555s go well with the 530s, make sure to get the 95 style)
4. Get upgraded intercoolers, whatever choice you chose (Stillen, HKS, Greddy). They are all nice, get SMIC though.
5. ECU, duh...that's a necessity for the swap anyway.
6. Even with a basic stage III car, an OEM TT auto tranny is not going to last long. Get an upgraded one (SpecialtyZ was my choice) but also make sure to get an upgraded tranny fluid cooler. Heat is the #1 enemy of auto trannys so help protect that sucka.
7. Boost controller, duh
8. If you go with the larger injectors, I think those need to be fed with a dual intake system. Do you have to do this? Probably not but it does give you more power potential obviously.
9. Upgraded oil cooler, some added insurance

There are lots of little things that I haven't listed here necessary for the swap but this would make a very streetable car with very decent power for around town at native boost but also have the ability to turn it up and scare children if you'd like. The best of both worlds have you.

I think you can do this on your budget but if you start adding bling then your budget is sure to be shot. Bling is called that for a reason....trust me.

Good luck with your build, ask Tim his suggestions as well...he obviously has an excellent knowlegde base with all this.

Randy

Post Edited (Jan 18, 12:53pm)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will have Tim and Brett do the swap of the car. I just need to get a figure on how much is it going to cost. Maybe this springs but for sure next spring...I sent Tim an email. Thanks Randy!!

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
If you have the cash upgraded turbos [and the injectors and intercoolers that go along with it] make the z32 turn from a great sports GT car into a monster to be reckoned with. Less lag, smoother power delivery, and enough power to break your 285's loose any day of the week.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
My parts list is for my swap is as follows with more being added weekly.

PIT BOV's: $180
Hardpipes: $25 (thankyou TT.net)
1 peice NYX DS: $200
RPS clutch:
RPS Segmented flywheel:
Koyo radiator: Package deal for all three $1440
ZEMulator: $685 shipped
FMIC: $335
Apex'i turbo timer: $75
Greddy boost controller: $340
Boost guage: $45
EGT guage: $150
Oil coiler: $150
Underdrive pulley: $100
Test pipes: $180
Guage pod: $30
wiring harness: $350
T25/T304 turbos: $850
Walbro 255LPH in tank pump it cost something
im sure ive got other parts laying around but I just cant think of them at the moment. Ive still gotta get my exhuast 120k kit, oil pump, and oil pressure sending unit. Keep in mind there is a labor charge and a motor charge in there as well. Also im still trying to source what im doing for injectors havent made up my mind yet and ive got a few people to talk to. So as if you cant tell it can get expensive real quick. Ha and I was just going to do a simple TT swap at first ill have my 600rwhp car when all is said and done.
oil p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.