ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered the targa exhaust system last week from motorsport and it arrived today. everything was good until i noticed that the pipe is only about 1 3/4 inches diameter. i had at least wanted 2 - 2 1/4, is this still good? will i not get near the performance as i would from a little larger pipe, say 2 1/4? the main thing i wanted was the tip anyway, i just thought it'd be easier to get the whole system instead of just getting the tip. if it will not flow or perform as good then i will send it back and get the tip only and have the muffler shop put some 2 1/4 pipe on for me. thanks, laterz

Chris

· Registered
70 Posts
Depending on how stock your engine is a larger diameter pipe especially on a non turbo could hurt your bottom end performance. I have put on larger diameter exaust on in the past and I was dissapointed in the performance. Put it on first and judge for yourself.

· Registered
5,716 Posts
Can we have some real-world opinion on this subjec

I also bought a Targa system for my '76 that I have not yet put on. The 1 3/4-inch pipes for it are essentially the same as the stock pipes, so I'm under the impression that the car will essentially run like stock, but maybe sound a bit better. This is all I'm after at the moment. I hope to complete this swap this month or next, and I'll let you know about my experience.

On the other hand, doesn't a 2", 3" — or 12" — exhaust system need the comparable cam, head, piston, induction and other work to actually add horsepower? I frankly don't see how adding JUST a large exhaust pipe would increase power — and I do see how it can hurt power in the useable "real life" RPM range of daily driving. And anyway, if you have a 3" pipe exiting from 2" headers or going into a 2"-inlet muffler or cat, doesn't that instantly negate any benefits from the larger pipe?

I'd REALLY like some real-world information here from people who have actually DONE either the targa or large-pipe swaps — not opinions from people who are only parroting the opinions of others or THINK they have figured it out themselves.

· Registered
279 Posts
I have a 73 Z running with a 2 1/4 pipe and it works great and looks COOL! Although I'm also runing with a set of 4 bolt SU carbs and a MSD 6AL system so I don't know if that helps with the low end.
-Magic

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Well, the bigger exhaust would change the range of the power band. Basically, the power band is shifted to a higher range, replacing the lower power to the top. But without a cam modification and a changing the intake flow, the engine with big exhaust can't get enough air to build full flow in lower rpm. That's why you lose the torque in lower rpm. On stock L28, 2 1/4 in exhaust suppose to be the ideal set up.

· Registered
129 Posts
I have an 81zx and the only modifications were a cold air intake. I ran stock exhaust for a while then I took it off just behind the cat. I drove around with no cat back exhaust for months. I had a lot less bottom end power than I did with the stock exhaust on the car. There wasn't much available at the top end either. I recently installed a turbo cat back system from motor sport. The pipe is 2 1/2". It sounds great and I have loads of bottom end power. The whole powerband seems to be beefed up a bit. Only mods are intake and exhaust but it runs strong after 210,000. Try out motorsport's brand name exhaust.

C.Wade

· Registered
1,351 Posts
So the moral of the story is...

I am surprised no mentioned this earlier, but the moral of the story is:

SIZE DOES MATTER!!

or

THE THICKER THE BETTER!!

or

IF IT IS THICKER IT SUCKS (OR BLOWS?) MORE!!

or....

IT IS NOT ONLY HOW THICK IT IS, BUT HOW YO USE IT...

Sorry to be so crude. I just could not resist anylonger. yukl, yuk..

· Registered
201 Posts
Re:Try a new muffler design.

I notice a loss of power at low RPM and increased power at the higher end.. I'm checking out some new mufflers that are designed to increase back pressure at low RPM and free flow at higher RPMs. This should solve your problem. Pipe size would not matter in this case....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.