Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a question for you guys with experience with carfax:

One of the kind members on this forum sent me a carfax on a car I am looking at, and the following came up:

1- Only 1 owner -- which is great, but the rest leaves some questions
2- Mileage was last reported in 1996! I know for a fact that it was driven signifigantly more recently than this, so this leads to the 3rd question.

3- On the carfaxes I have seen, i see emissions inspections reported as mileage checks, BUt this car doesn't have one! Are there any states that dont report? I know the car was titled in Texas for 3 years, and then Florida.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Not every county has emissions....

Its usually up to a buisness to report the mileage, and some states slack on that as well....

My Z was from flordia and it had a pretty up to date carfax but they had to do emissions in fort lauderdale.... I dont think every county in florida has emissions

·
Registered
152 Posts
yeah, if they dont require emmisions test then you wont get a mileage report. but depending on the car - you should be able to tell if the mileage is not correct with minimal mechanical inspection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah some states do not have an annual inspection or emissions test, so as has been said, there would be no mileage check. From what I saw on that report everything looked legit. The only real possibility for some sort of odometer fraud in this situation is if the owner knew how to dissable the Odometer, log a bunch of miles, and then hook it back up before an inspection or sale... Not very likely IMO

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just a little worried that the car disappeared according to carfax early in 96, yet I know it was in NJ as much as a year ago.

The car was not "intended" for sale, so I assume that odometer fraud is not going to be likely.

My real question would be how it went away, made it to NJ, and never was titled anywhere else. My only idea would be a person in the military (where you don't have to change title when shipped to a new base).

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Or they never registered it elsewhere and just

drove with the old NJ plates until them came back. Not much would happen if the cops didn't pull you over.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
If it was in Florida, it probably had no emissions test. However, if it was titled in NJ since 96' and the mileage was not recorded that could be a cause for concern. Given it's a one owner and seems to have an odd history, it's possible it was stored for extended periods of time or was used by a govt official that simply didn't need to register it.

On the odometer fraud, I can personally promise you that if someone has the least bit of knowledge regarding it that moving the odo back is untraceable. It is not even recorded in any way electronically. I try not to disclose this too much to give anyone bad ideas.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was titled in Florida since 96, and there are no further records.

The reason I know it was in NJ, is 2 fold:
1- It threw its rod in NJ, down the road from me
2- It has a sticker in the front window for a tune shop in Allentown PA

Carfax doesn't even have any idea that it is in NJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.