ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am checking out the air regulator. I took it off when it was cold and it was partially closed. I soaked it in cleaner and let it dry. Still partially closed. So I put it in the freezer for a while. Took it out and it was still only partially closed. Is this unit defective. Based on the readings from this site it is supposed to be shut until the engine warms up then it opens.

3 Questions:

1. Does shut mean completely shut as to block off any passage of air?

2. Do the wires going to this unit send signals or receive them? I notice that the air regulator is sitting on a pad that has coolant running through it, a sort of heating pad. So does the heat activate the opening and closing of the valve or is this done by the electrical connector.

3. Can you remove this? If it is just there to facilitate cold running I can live without it. Or, is it an integral part of the EFI?

It is $113 at the dealers. If I have to have it, then I have to have it.

As always, thank you for the responses.

John

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
1) After putting it in the freezer it should OPEN up. Putting it in an oven at say 200d F for 20 min or so should cause it to close. If yours is doing nothing despite temps it is defective.
2) The wires going to the unit don't really create or receive any signals. It is just 12v that it receives whenever there is voltage going to the fuel pump. Same power source, just 'T'd off. The voltage is applied to an internal heater in the air regulator so that over a period of time (30 sec to 2 or 3 minutes depending on engine temp, outside temp etc) that the bimetal spring inside will heat up and cause the air passage to close, thus reducing engine idle speed. The coolant passages underneath are just an additional source of heat signal for the bimetal spring inside.
3) Yes, you can remove it without any affect on the f/i system OTHER THAN the possibility of hard starting and a stumbling idle when cool/cold. If you remove it make sure to plug the air outlet at the throttle body and inlet where it connects to the manifold/hose. If you want to retain some ability to have the cold start high idle you COULD install some sort of hand operated valve such as a plumbing type ball valve or perhaps a cable operated heater control (water) valve. Or be prepared to hold the throttle open just a crack when it is cold until the engine warms up.
Have you checked the boneyards for this. Might be able to pick up 2 or 3 for just a few bucks. Get spares as this seems to be a weak link.

·
Registered
664 Posts
John,
Don't give up on it so easy. I spent $2 on some gumout carb
cleaner. Sprayed it really good and also let it soak a couple
of times. Sometimes the carbon build up on spring causes
problems.
Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.