ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....rear end makes rattling noises....everything (cv's driveshft etc) is tight...will check the mount tomorrow...
...i have a r200..(on my 82zxt 5-speed)...if the rear end is shot...i was thinking about getting a quaife lsd.....anybody have one?....or know about 'em...?
...i had a rear end go out in an old van i had and no one would touch "just" the differential (they said replace the whole rear end)...(i'd hate to buy one and then find out nobody can put it in).....
...anyway found it for about $900...(thats cool)..but what should i expect to pay to have it put in.....and will i have to replace "other stuff".....like axles,pinion,bearings etc...?....
....i'm gonna try to get this car up to arround 300hp (and thats it) would this (or is there something better) improve the handling (and traction) should i have to replace the rear end....?...or...would this not be that much of an improvement over a stock r200 in a vehicle like this?......thanks, .....s

· Registered
29 Posts
I installed a quaife lsd in a 240z. they're great units, they have a lifetime warranty even if raced, don't wear out, and are virtually unbreakable. they do make a loud howling noise when u push beyond the breakaway torque.

the only parts u should have to replace are the diff side bearings, about $30 ea i think. it will cost about $300 to have it installed. this is assuming all the other parts are in good shape, like the gears and pinion bearings. the gear backlash and tooth pattern will need to be checked after it is installed and if it needs to be adjusted it may cost u more. if all other parts are fine, it should go back together with no additional work.

the 240z i put the quaife in is a car i autocrossed this past year. the extra traction sure helps out when accelerating out of tight turns, especially when racing in the rain. the rear end and lsd will handle 300 horse no problem, and you should never have to replace it. an r200 and quaife are the best setup in my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.