ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
why would you spend that kind of money when you could easily go to the junk yard and get the rear out of a 87 turbo and have the same thing. just my thought

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exact same thing?? There has to be something worth the extra cash in buying the quaife unit....., sorry dude but my z isnt getting second hand parts when i can save for a bit and make sure the thing aint gonna go haywire latter on. I dunno about you but I lean toward putting in something new rather than using some tattered and beaten rear end.... Any more thoughts??

· Registered
532 Posts
ZmeFly,

Are you located near junkyards that have numerous 300ZXT LSD just laying around? I have done my fair share of junkyarding, and I have never seen a 300ZXT with an lsd. I don't think it's as easy as you make it seem. These units sell for $300-$600 used on forums like this. If you have access to one cheaper than that, please let me know. I agree with zpeedrazer in that I would rather spend a grand on a new unit, than $600 for a used one. Plus, the Quaife is a torsen style lsd. This is not like the clutch style used in the 300ZXT. This is not anything like the viscous lsd in the 300ZX SS/SE. The Quaife will never wear out like the clutch style. This is the unit that comes in the third-gen RX-7 or Supra TT. These units are far superior in design and performance. I definately plan on buying a Quaife. I'm just waiting 'till I save up enough money.

Ian

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goto www.quaifeamerica.com they got them on there but they cost a pretty penny. Lowest price i could find was on www.modern-motorsports.com for 900 bucks, maybe if we get a few people we can get on a group buy??? In about another month or so I should have enough saved up to get one. Any body else?? By the way Ian thanks for the input i, what kinda setup are you running??
thanks

· Registered
5,837 Posts
Quaife LSD, is'nt that some sort of Austrailian psycodelic drug?zpeedrazer wrote:
>
> goto www.quaifeamerica.com they got them on there but they
> cost a pretty penny. Lowest price i could find was on
> www.modern-motorsports.com for 900 bucks, maybe if we get a
> few people we can get on a group buy??? In about another
> month or so I should have enough saved up to get one. Any
> body else?? By the way Ian thanks for the input i, what kinda
> setup are you running??
> thanks

· Registered
120 Posts
The Quaife differential is now onsale for $895 for the R180. R200 is still 1195.
They are a torque sensing differential. THEY ARE NOT AT ALL LIKE THE STOCK 300ZX LSD UNITS!!

When the wheel getting the power begins to slip, the torque is transfered to the wheel with more traction. There is no breakaway torque setting. You get all the power to both wheels all the time. It is constantly changing depending on the traction available. 80/20, 50/50, 54/46. It all depends.

The Quaife unit (and the Torsen unit that I have) are the fastest way around the track. Period. You will have to change your driving style to a more smooth style.

I called Dave Rebello and he quoted me about $1500 total to setup the unit.

Mike

· Registered
5,829 Posts
I considered a Quaife unit, but for now the LSD will have to work. That diff is designed much the same way the Torsen units are designed. They are the very best unit you can buy. They are very streetable as they can change the turns ratio up to 9:1 in a turn and still provide positive power to both wheels.
I have the LSD and it is a good unit also, much better then the one legger unit, but I have also noticed some tire slippage in turns, especially if the ground is wet, but as I said, for now I will keep the LSD because I have other areas to spend money on my car.

· Registered
492 Posts
.....i tried to buy one from m.motorsport tonight if they were selling 'em for $900...(i have an r200)........none of their email links work....and theres no phone #......
.......the $1500....did that include the price for the lsd also?.....if it did thats very cool....i would imagine it costs $50 to ship it......i'm trying to find someone in nashville that can do it......i havent seen any for less than $1200...s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.