ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the thread about 5th gear dropping out, I had a similar problem with 5th gear not engaging at all, just grinding. Could this be a simple adjustment or should I replace the clutch while I have the drive train apart? I'm getting ready to replace my blown engine which is already pulled. I have the possibility of dropping an engine from an '82 280Z into my '77. My other question is, are there any major differences between the two that I should be careful of?
BTW I would never have embarked on this project without all the great info I've gleaned from this site. Keep up the good work, guys & gals!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Seems to me if it were a clutch problem 5th gear would be the easiest to engage. I'd say internal tranny, synchros or something. Believe me I am no expert on trannys

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Alot of times when they pop out of 5th gear, or won't go in at all, you will find the staked down nut wasn't properly torqued, and staked down. Transmission has to come apart. Do the clutch unless it looks new, and also have the flywheel surfaced. We also do the rear main seal when doing the clutch job.Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE:did you use the 5 spd shifter?

The fulcrum point is different on the 5 spd shifter, and I had a 240z pop out of 5th by using the 4 spd shifter.
I just replaced it with one out of a 78 280z, (bent it in a vise to fit and clear 240z console), and it shifted fine.
Still have the car 10 years later. Joe

·
Registered
361 Posts
RE: john, look at the old thread from 75z...

john,
i said almost the same thing in a post a few days ago. the shifter from the 78 has the lower part that works for the 5 speed,(it is shorter than the 4 speed), and the upper part matching the earlier z's. it does hit the front sheet metal. either bending like joe did, or trimming of the metal like i did will ensure it engages all the way.
-bob hanvey

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you say the transmission has to come apart, do you mean a rebuild or just disconnecting from the engine?
My engine is out, and over the weekend I picked up a new (used) one & it came with a bonus transmission. Now I have two of everything & I can drop in the engine alone with it's clutch & my problem could be solved unless what you're telling me is that my tranny needs help in which I would probably drop in the new (used) tranny & take my chances. This will obviously be more work - what do you think? If I understand you correctly, the potential problem is with my transmission.
I'm closer every day to getting back on the road & I want to be sure of my steps putting it back together.! Appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.