ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of 5 spd tranny (T5?) came in an 83ZX turbo?
Also why the clutch in my turbo so much harder to engage as compared to my 75Z? I just bought the turbo and was told( have the reciepts) the entire clutch assembly was replaced only 5 months ago.
So I guess my question is, is it normal for the clutch to be this way on a turbo.
Anyway it just dosn't feel right, it engages real late in the padal travel, very near the bottom.
I've already adjusted the master cylinder push rod.
I did notce plenty of play between the actuator and the tranny withdraw lever. So does anyone make an adjustable actuator?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Q?? 83ZXT 5spd</b>

5-speeds for the '82-'83 turbos were Borg Warner units (introduced in mid-'82; late '81, early '82 turbos came with automatics). Nissan thought the added output of cars would need beefier transmissions, thus the substitution. I have read several times on this forum that the Nissan 5-speeds that came with the N/A ZXs were plenty strong, had better gear ratios and shift easier to boot. I have an '82 turbo that does shift a bit notchy compared to my '75 280 four-speed. However, the clutches of the two cars are not demonstrably different in feel. Something sounds wacky in yours. If the entire clutch, slave, throwout -- everything -- was replaced, perhaps they got the clutch plate in backwards (it's not hard, I've done it thousands of times), or the slave is the wrong one. Or the clutch plate assy is the wrong one (I may be wrong here, but I think the turbos required a different clutch than N/As). Anyway, it shouldn't be as hard or as out of adjustment as you say.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question, if you put the clutch plate in backwards, would you still be able to engage and disengage the clutch????? Other word, will the car be drivable???
Thanks
tom2Z²

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Dyslexia is a horrible thing</b>

Actually, I've never replaced the clutch in a Z yet. But I got one backwards in my wife's S-10 Blazer and it ran fine. A little thunky at first, but after it wore a groove in the springs and metal nose, it ran fine. We only discovered it when the engine spun a bearing and had to be yanked out. I've also put them in backwards in an old Ford van and a Datsun pickup, and they ran okay, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.