ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 81ZX Turbo motor for future rebuilding, and I decided to put the larger injectors into my 83ZX N/A. After all was done, the car started, but ran rough and was very sluggish. I am guessing I have a vacuum leak on one or more of the injectors, so I will probably pull them and replace all the seals on them.

Would these new injectors cause my car to run rich? If so, how do I lean out the mixture? I have a Turbo AFM and a big throat throttle body going in next. Help is greatly apprecited.

JEL
83XZ N/A
81XZT engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, I do have a vacuum leak. When I take off the oil cap when the car is running, no change! Time to replace the injector seals.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I mixed a set on mine, and it ran rich, If I were you I would put the normal set on the car, as the computer can not compensate for the additional fuel the Turbo Inectors Pulse each revalation. You could have a vacum leak in addition, did you replace the rubber donuts when you replaced the injectors? That will cause it, you can check by taking a watter bottle and spraying some water in each of the injectors inlets where they seal at the intake, if you hear the idle go up when you spray, you have a vacum leak, the fluid seals the air out of the intake causing IDLE to go up. But again I would NOT run the Turbo injectors in it, I tried it, I got the car to run smooth, but it ran flat as a pancake and I lost 3-5 MPH, it ran like a new car when I bought the reman correct injectors, unless you have a Turbo you would not be able to force enough air into the intake to take advantage of the Turbo Injectors, now if you supercharged the motor, perhaps you could.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Put Turbo Injectors in, running rough...</b

turbo injectors pump fuel at 19lbs per hour, while non turbo's pump 16lbs per hour. Without increased air flow it will run rich. I believe the turbo AFM and big mouth throttle should provide the air you need, but swapping the AFM will take some modification.(at least on my 76 it will).
I am planning the same swap as soon as i figure out how to rig up an idle adjustment on my TWM big bore throttle body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.