ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I just stumbled upon a gold mine.

A friend of mine wrecked his car, and I basically got his entire stereo except his head unit+subs for practically nothing.

I got a set of 6.5" Memphis w/adjustable tweeter
Polk 5 1/4 EXII speakers
A crate filled with high quality wire 8 gauge and lower, lots of Rockford Fosgate RCA cables (10ft and longer), and 100ft of rockford Fosgate speaker wire. Just a bunch of cable, and a few nice fuse holders.
Jensen XA4100 400W amp

Now, I've already got an Aiwa CDC-MP3 player, a set of Pioneer 6.5" speakers in the back, Pioneer 400W sub powered by a Jensen XA2100 Amp, and a JBL GTS150 powering the 6.5's in the back.

Now, I want front speakers. Badly. So badly I would hack apart the door panels on my lovely 280ZX to get them.

But, I don't want to pay for custom made kick panels, or any type of enclosure.

I know people here have done it. I want to see your Setups. I thought about using two of the pop off rear speaker covers from a 300ZX and making a mounting system behind that but I don't want to jump into that so quickly.

My main problem is There is no where in the door that I can see, that I can make a hole in to hold the polks i want to put in there.

I wanna see peoples setups, maybe tell me exactly where you mounted the speakers? Put up some pics? I wanna put this discussion to rest, and make my car sound leet. ;)

Thanks guys!

· Registered
274 Posts
No can do w/o custom enclosures on the doors.

There is simply not enough room for the window mechanism and decent speakers.

I had custom enclosures made for my ADS speakers in my 280 ZXT, and they are not intrusive.

Depth is the big factor on geting speakers to fit and the custom enclosures (about $125) really enable you to get it right. They even look good if you get someone good to make them.

Sorry, no pictures, but trust me - it can look good.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
How about below the door on the inside of the door sill just above the floor pan? THer eis enough room there for some 6" speakers, isn't there? This tereo guy Itake my 78 to always says the best place in right in the back corner of the footwells, just forward of the ECU ont he driver's side and the trignition unit ont he pass side. What do you guys think of that?

· Registered
107,597 Posts
i ran across one in the junkyard. whoever it was had cut a half circle out of each front side of the center console. with grills on, it looked pretty good. now i don't know about the response or clarity with having no seal between front and rear of the speaker, but it looked good.

· Registered
25 Posts
As a Matter Of Fact !

I Was working on this exact problem yesterday,and I'm about half way thru making working fibergalss models of door panel speaker enclosures that will replace the storage pockets. There was no way I was gona put my brand new eXcelons in stock dash locations. No pics yet though sorry . :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.