ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a zx engine in my z, because it has been said they have a little more hp due to slightly bigger valves. My car has headers w/2-1/2 exaust system, k&n filter and a bid bore throttle body. I can't really do anything else to my engine such as a cam because it is starting to have troubles passing smog. Has anyone done this before or have any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I don't think that's right

I believe that the difference is in the way horsepower is measured. Before they used horsepower measurements from an engine NOT on the car. (gross horsepower) the later model engine's horsepower rating is at the rear wheel (net horsepower), hence the lower figure because losses due to driveline friction are factored in.

I think that i'm right on this. They may have the exact same horsepower capability, depending on the head, smog stuff, etc.

·
Registered
439 Posts
280zx engine in a 77 280Z

I put a 81 280zx complete motor in my 1978 280z but did run into some problems. different motor mounts, wiring on the distribrutor,exhaust manafold {wrong length} ETC but it can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.