ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I tried to fix my oil leaks, which namely were the sump gasket, rocker cover, oil filter, crank front seal and the front cover gasket.

I got the sump, rocker and filter, but I couldn't get the darn crank pulley off!

I am something of a young backyard mechanic, but I have done this before on a 120Y. My problem is that I require two tools: One, a bearing puller, to pull the pulley off the crank. I've got that one sussed.

But first I need to take the nut off. How can I do this without tuning the crank? I know there is a proper tool for this, but I can't lay my hands on one. Problem is, I've only got two small holes in the pulley to lock it up. I put a tiny scew driver through, but only succeeded in bending it. Is there a blind hole somewhere in the front cover though which I can put a locking rod? How have others overcome the problem? On my 120Y I just put the car into gear to lock the crank, but on the Z this only achieves a very slow form of propulsion!

P.S: Theres this guy I don't like...... I could get him to hold the spanner on the nut whilst I turn the key........

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Put it in 1st gear, apply the parking break, put your friend in front of the left rear wheel (you are RHD?).

Or

Remove the starter motor and wedge a large screwdrive or tire iron in the flywheel starter gear.

Or

Pull the # 1 spark plug. Remove the Dizzy cap. Set the engine to almost TDC for # 1. Feed a bunch of rope into the spark plug hole.

Undo bolt.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Sometimes using an air wrench (impact wrench) will quickly break it loose and spin it out quickly just having it in gear and brake on. Of course this is easier to do with radiator out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Although I am somewhat embrassed to say I did it this way you can lock a good set of visegrips onto the inner groove of the pully and place a block of wood between the handle and whatever it will strike as you turn the pulley. It makes such an effective lock because once the handle contacts the block of wood, which is against the engine, everthing is stationary and the crank can't budge. However, be advised, the pulley is cast iron and can be broken.

Once you have the bolt out don't even think you are home free. If that thing has not been off before you will most likely find your troubles have just begun. I recently had to replace the one off my sons 79zx after he over reved the engine and sheared the rubber bond between the inner hub and the pulley grooves. First, the best way to get this thing off is to use a puller that allows you to use the two holes in the inner pulley hub. However, and this is a biggee, make sure you use grade 8 or higher bolts in your puller. If you don't then all you will do is pull the bolts right out of the hub when you start cranking down on the puller. What i ended up having to do was to pull the a/c system, the radiator, and the grill, drill out the holes to 3/8 and retap them with a fine thread, and then use a bigger puller after applying a torch to the hub pulley. Even though it came off it was still a bear after all that.

Big thing is take your time and don't rush. In my case I knew the pulley was trash so I did not care if it broke. Besides the bolts from the puller to the hub I also had the frame of the puller clamped with the biggest, baddest vise grips I could find to the outer edge of the pulley. I hope yours is not as stuck as mine was, LOL....Good luck.........

Charles

·
Registered
991 Posts
my method of pulling the pully

i did something similar to charles to remove the nuts; i actually got the pully off with a block of wood and a hammer. :)

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
The easiest way is to remove the starter and use a big screw driver in the starter teeth you will get the most leverage that way. Use a 1/2 drive ratchet and a 27mm socket with a breaker bar. That will do it for you.
The balancer should not be that tight, you can use a three jaw puller to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.