Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'79 280ZX Coupe

Car pulls to the right; seems to progress as speed is built up. EG, seems to pull more at 80mph than at 50mph. Also at around 50-55mph, I can feel a 'shimmy' in the steering wheel. My son works at Pep Boys. I asked him to take it in for alignment, and the alignment guy said I need a tie rod end before he could align.
Have had the wheels computer balanced. That made a really big difference in overall ride.
Appreciate any thoughts on the subject!

David

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe a dodgy wheel bearing,,,,But mine does the same thing and it nneeds new tie rod ends as well.........They go on tomorrow so I'll tell you if its any better.....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
If you don't buy the tie rod end solution it could be the tires. Try putting the fronts on the back and move the rears to the front. Just because the wheel has been balanced doesn't eliminate it as the problem. If there is belt separation some times it won't show when there is no weight on the tire, I.e off the car. Also often if the wheel isn't mounted properly on the machine it can be balanced wrong. What I am saying is that the computer balancer is only as good as the person using it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
try taking the front weel in your hands ,one one in front one in back and see if there is any play , shouldent be any , then grasp the top of the tire and push then pull , should not be any clunk or loosness, also just lean against the front fender and push on the car to try and push it from side to side. If any looseness in any of these areas you need the work the alignment guy said and most probibly more. Good luck Gary Portland Ore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.