ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a maxima crankshaft and waterpump pulley when doing a maxima alternator swap. In other words does the maxima pully have a regular V belt for the front two and a serpentine style for the rear?

Or do I have to use a water pump pully and crank pully from a z? If I do have to use the Z pulley's does anyone know where I could get them, because there are no z's in any junks yards withing 200 miles of my house!
I dont want to have to buy them from a dealer because they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Thanks,
Daryl

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I have done the maxima alternator swap as well. I had to go through the same steps are you are now going through because like you I have an N/A and that requires you to either have the pulley on the alternator itself custom fitted by a shop or swap out the two pulleys as you are aware of.

I got the Crankshaft pulley and the Waterpump pulley from an 87-89 turbo model. What I did was post here on zcar.com in the "Wanted Parts" section. I had an individual in Florida contact me and he had the parts available. Shipped both to my door for $85. They are hard to find.

I don't know if he has any more available but this is the guy's contact info that I got the stuff from:

Mike Smith
850-862-6795
He is out of Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Email address - [email protected]

Calling him works best.

If you run into more problems as you are completing the swap please feel free to drop me an email at the email address on my profile. I would be glad to give any advice. Two tasks that really suck are: 1. Swapping the crankshaft pulley and getting the Power Steering Belt off of the **** pump. I did the swap 2 months ago so it is fresh in my mind!

Good luck.

-Stu85na

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an 85 n/a. I attempted this swap procedure and hit a snag. It appears the pulley on my original ALT has a smaller inside diameter and will not fit on the shaft of new ALT. Its a Bosch from PEP-Boys. We tried all the years (89-92) that were listed in the original post Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.