ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad and I just changed out the timing belt and etc. So today after my car sat at the airport for 4 days, after running for about 15 mins, my temp nearly pegged out! So I pull over and put maybe a quarter gal of water to get me home. I notice though that there's a puddle of liquid on the passenger floorboard. It's kinda oily so I'm assuming that it's antifreeze related. Could this be from a cracked hose or bad heater valve?

Upon further review of this freaking dilema, I've noticed that the seal on the plunger of the radiator cap is all beat up so that's an easy fix. But why isn't the coolant going from the overflow jug back into the radiator? Sounds like I have another cracked hose somewhere...so any ideas on that?

Appreciate it, until then, stuck driving an SLK.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that why I was hearing water running through what I assume is heater core? Noise was coming from right under the dash.

Is replacing it a major job? We have a Haynes manual but that's about it. And where would you suggest in getting a heater core?

·
Registered
657 Posts
i believe you have to pull the entire dash to do the heater core

you can bypass it if you dont have the time to do it now...... or if you live in a warm climate like i do.... thats what i did when mine went out....

·
Registered
3 Posts
look it is real easy i just by-passed my heater core
there are 2 hoses coming out of your firewall on the passenger side near the top
the bottom one goes over to the other side of the engine call it #2
#1 hose on top goes to a metal thing (i guess heat related) take off the short #1 hose and set it aside
now take the end of hose #2 and connect it to the metal thing where hose #1 was connected
you have bypassed your heater core replace at your leasure

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In regards to the heater core, can you have it recored or is it best just to get a new one? And while I'm at it, should I replace the heater valve? I live in NC so the heat doesn't get used all that much throughout the year and wasn't really sure if the valve ever malfunctions. And finally, since I'm doing all of this work to the heat/cooling system, should we knock out a new thermostat too? Is it worth out time to take it out and test it before replacing or just replace. Not sure if we've replaced it since we bought the car.

Side note, as far as antifreeze, is there any one brand that you prefer out there or is a 50/50 mixture of Preston good enough? There's the brand that starts with an "X" in a bronze colored container that I can't think of at the moment.

Gracias.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would get a new one. Mine had the pipe broken off of it, no way a recore would fix that. I replaced mine not because of the lack of heat, but in the rain, I needed the defrost capability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.