ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78 280 Makes the clunk sound when I shift gears. I've replaced the differential mount with an all metal one from Motorsport Auto but it didn't help. What now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
> My 78 280 Makes the clunk sound when I shift
> gears. I've replaced the differential mount
> with an all metal one from Motorsport Auto
> but it didn't help. What now?
I had a clunking rearend in my 77. Solved the problem by replacing the mustache bar bushings. This might be worth checking out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> I had a clunking rearend in my 77. Solved
> the problem by replacing the mustache bar
> bushings. This might be worth checking out.

thank you for the suggestion. I forgot to say that I've replaced all the rubber bushings on the mustache bar and everything else around the differential that I could get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
> thank you for the suggestion. I forgot to
> say that I've replaced all the rubber
> bushings on the mustache bar and everything
> else around the differential that I could
> get.

Check all of the u-joints.

BTW, I have info on converting to the CV axles if anyone is interested. I installed them on my 240Zturbo and they work wonderfully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
> Check all of the u-joints.

> BTW, I have info on converting to the CV
> axles if anyone is interested. I installed
> them on my 240Zturbo and they work
> wonderfully.
-------------------------------
Ian,

I would like to know more about what ever you have discovered. I know others that have wanted to know if it is possible and I think there are others on the IZCC that have done it, but it escapes me as who or where they are.

Please post me directly at [email protected]

Thanks much, Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Nissan Differential Trouble Shooting Guide

> My 78 280 Makes the clunk sound when I shift
> gears. I've replaced the differential mount
> with an all metal one from Motorsport Auto
> but it didn't help. What now?
---------------------------------------------
doc

I think I can direct you to an excellent starting point for some info and a diagnostic aide that may help in your search for an answer. Go to the DATSUN DIFFERENTIAL TROUBLE SHOOTING SERVICE GUIDE page on my site listed below or directly to the page at <A HREF=http://www.jps.net/zparts/zptech.html>http://www.jps.net/zparts/zptech.html</A> This page has been extremely popular with the Z crowd and I have received countless praiseregarding it's usefulness.

The information and charts on this page are directly from the horse's mouth, Nissan's Factory Mechanic's training center. The page has been laid out in sections that includes a blank test drive check-off form that can be printed out and used to trouble shoot differential related problems.

I hope that anyone that downloads the form and finds it useful will briefly pass on their experiences to me so

that I can build a larger Tech related section around this troublesome topic.

Good luck, Eric Neyerlin - owner of Z PARTS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> My 78 280 Makes the clunk sound when I shift
> gears. I've replaced the differential mount
> with an all metal one from Motorsport Auto
> but it didn't help. What now?

What was the difference in ride quality with the steel diff. mount. Most people say it is rough for street use. I need to replace mine and an looking over my options. Thanks Sam 75 280z
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top