ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been trying to figure out exactly what a fuel rail is. (the performance ones)

in the descriptions i've read... they're for off road use only...
is that just a disclaimer to keep the company covered?

what do they do?
under what circumstances would one consider installing such a thing?

all i know... is its a bar.. that replaces the trumpet under the hood that delivers fuel.
other than that... i'm clueless.

thanks ahead of time for clearing this up!!
-Justin

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, and another thing...

What would be wrong with 6 individual hoses from another location where the reg and dump-out would be mounted. Sure make working on injectors and linkage and manifold and whatnot easier.

steve 77

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Our cars use a "Batch Fire" injector system where 3 injectors are fired at a time.

Each time the ECU fires a bank of injectors there is a sudden drop in pressure as the required volume of fuel is injected into the intake manifold.

In a perfect world the volume of fuel in the Fuel Rail should be twice the volume of fuel that is injected each time. This reduces the possibility of a sudden drop in pressure / volume.

Or as an example, you are in the shower and someone flushes the toilet. The water in the shower gets hotter because the cold water is now filing the toilet at the same time. To fix this you would run 3/4 inch pipe on the cold water supply line to the shower and then reduce to 1/2 inch to the toilet.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
79 Posts
MORE pros/cons/purpose of fuel rails...

Fuel rails are mostly for aesthetic purposes as the stock rail will support ample horsepower. It is true that the rail holds more fuel than the stock unit so pulses will be damped. It would also be very possible to use long hoses that extend from a central fuel dump. MSD makes some great stuff for that kind of setup and their FI catalog can be downloaded from my website. www.zcarcreations.com
The biggest benefit of the fuel rail is that it will help stop the problems of fuel percolation that occur during short 15-20 minute stops in hot weather. I live in Alabama and the problem went away with the fitment of the fuel rail.

The Off-Road disclaimer is a layer of protection for the manufacturer.

Regards,
Craig Borden
www.zcarcreations.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.