ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the 300ZX's prone to rusting or "body cancer" as the guy on the phone called it. I got off with a dealership and the car I was talking about was an '85 300ZX 2+2 and according to him, due to the type of metal used in these cars, there was serious rusting problems and eventually all had this issue. never heard this before and I think its complete BS. All cars rust but I don't think 300ZX's are prone to it. Anyway, I just wanted to check and see what yall thought. Can anyone who perhaps knows make a statement on this?

·
Registered
632 Posts
it all depends on how well the car was takin care of. a car that was driven every winter when there was salt on the roads is going to rust alot quicker than a car that was put up in the winter and only driven in the summer.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. I know. Thats not just with Z's tho. The guy was saying that 300ZX's were prone to rusting. I'm just wondering if anyone can back that up.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The z31 300ZX IS NOT a rust bucket. Newer cars use more plastics on the lower areas of the car where corrosion is most likely to occur. Notice that the front and rear bumpers on newer cars "wrap around" to become part of the lower front and rear fenders. The z31 doesn't have this and is more prone to rust because the wheels can kick up rocks, strike the metal and expose bare metal. Therefore, if the z31 is a rust bucket, then all cars from the z31 era are rust buckets. It's because of the manufacturing methods used by auto makers at that time.

Corrosion can occur to cars anywhere and everywhere they're located. Road salt accelerates the rusting process. All it takes is ferrous (bare metal) plus moisture in any form whether it's rain, fog, snow, etc. and oxidation better known as that dreaded four letter word r-u-s-t, will occur. It's a completely natural chemical process.

Use touch up paint on stone chips before rust has a chance to set in. Hope this answers it for you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can attest to what Kyle said. The 240-280's did tend to rust badly and quickly if not taken care of. I had 2 240's that I replaced front frame rails because they were completely gone. Plus they had rot in the upper rear wheel arch and rockers. At the time the cars were about 10-12 years old. Both cars had less than 80,000 mile. My 21 year old 84 doesn't have that kind of rust and it has 140,000 miles on it. My 86 turbo has 90,000 miles. It's from northern NJ and it only has rust starting in the rear driver lower fender behind the wheel. That'll get fixed this fall when I repaint it. You rarely see an early Z up north. They turned back into iron oxide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes and no.

Same metal as used by other 84-98 cars. But unfortunately z31's are famous for losing the seal in the rear quarter windows and body and also the taillights and the body. Once this seal goes, then water drips in every time it rains without the owner knowing about it. This leads to significant rust-outs underneath the tool kit, underneath the spare tire, or behind the drivers/passsengers seat. This may be what the dealer is saying. Everytime anyone buys a z31 these are the first places they should check (even an California car that has never seen the rust).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Every car has it's Achilles Tendon when it comes to rust. What to think about? Is it cosmetic or will it be a safety issue. You can still drive a car with the bottom of a fender or door rusted through. But would you drive a car that had suspension mounting points rotted out? You want a rust bucket, try and find an old Datsun/Nissan pickup. There's a challenge! lol

Post Edited (Sep 19, 7:02pm)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Leaking/split door and window seals are a big contributer to rust as the water gets logged right in there. If you find any rust just bust out a metal file and sandpaper and get some anit-rust primer to get on top of it before it spreads to far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.