ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently undegoing a partial restoration on my 260.I purchased two used doors that have the same hinge and latch bolt patterns, however they dont fit as snug to the body as my old doors.I have about a 1/8 inch gap. My old door seals appear to be quite thick...Is it true that 280z door seals are thinner and could that be my only problem? My old doors fit tight against the body but did seem to require a little force to shut well..like the window gaskets may have been a tad thick. The doors fit perfectly otherwise...They just look like there not quite shut all the way..I guess my main concern is besides 2 plus 2 doors...should any 70-78 door work for my application?

One other thing about my "new" doors. The "inside" of them where the window crank hooks up was recessed where my original doors were bulged out in the same area.I actually cut that section from my old doors and modified these because my windows would not roll down properly otherwise.Does this offer any clues as to which doors I purchased? (240z or 280z?) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Nope, 70 to 78 door are not the same.

What doors are you trying to use? Hopefully nothing from a 77 or 78.

·
Registered
359 Posts
70-76 are the same
77-78 have a different hinge & latch, but you say that the latches are the same as on the old doors so that shouldnt be a problem...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sorry Jeremy 70-76 are NOT all the same.

The following Part Numbers were just for the door SHELL;

Up until 11-72 Part Numbers were:
R/H 80100-N3025 L/H 80101-N3025

From 12-72 to 7-73
R/H 80100-N3325 L/H 80101-N3325

7-73 and After
R/H 80100-N3600 L/H 80101-N3600

The outside door skins were the same for the years mentioned. (Aside from the fact that the early to 7-73 skins were much thinner and were discontinued, but shape was the same)

This would have the effect of changing the dimensions that ZCarNut is mentioning.

You might be able to compensate for the 1/8" gap by using thicker or stiffer gaskets but I think you'd be better off finding the doors that match your production month.

Just my 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,my "new" doors have the same latch and hinge. I hope that means its just some different door seals I need...or some adjustments/tweaks.The doors have been off the car for a few months.Could the old seals have expanded because of this? Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.