ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '73 240z. I recently replaced the spark plugs, wires, points, rotor, and distributor cap and now it doesn't run well at all. Only some of the cylinders are running. The car previously had problems running. The choke had to be on to start and keep running at stop. It is worse now!
Any ideas,
my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check each cylinder for combustion by pulling #2, then #5 plug wire. The engine should drop in rpm (you can hear it) the same amount. If it dies altogether when you pull either wire, more than likely one of your carbs is not fueling like it should be. You need to eliminate spark or fuel and that's the quickest way to narrow it down. If they both have the same effect, pull each of the other wires each in turn to see if you have "dead cylinders". Usually crap gets down into the carbs and plug them up. Sometimes you can run the engine up to 4-5000 rpm and put your hand over the carb throat and suck all the crap through the fuel hose going to the jet. If it is fuel, and that doesn't do it, you are in for a "disassemble and clean night."
It's just a starting point--good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that you have probably done this at least five times already, but check and make sure that you have the wires on the correct firing order. It's amazing how easy it is to screw them up(voice of experience). Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.