ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between shifts, and occasionally when revved, my 77 280 z will backfire out of the exhaust. I have spent a long time fiddling under the hood, trying to solve this, but I'm not having much luck with it. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone solved this problem? Please email me with any possible fixes! Thank you guys!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> Between shifts, and occasionally when
> revved, my 77 280 z will backfire out of the
> exhaust. I have spent a long time fiddling
> under the hood, trying to solve this, but
> I'm not having much luck with it. Does
> anyone else have this problem? Has anyone
> solved this problem? Please email me with
> any possible fixes! Thank you guys!
What is the duration of the back fire(s), if they're multiple, and what is the indicated level of the gas gauge? Also, is the vehicle in motion when it's reved and backfires? Have an idea, but need to know.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the AFM, fuel injectors to make sure their not sticking, fuel pressure regulator, etc. Also double check your timing. Does the engine run ok otherwise, etc. Remember, air and gas create combustion.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
What about carbs?

Tell me what it means when you have 240 and it backfires through the exhaust?

What about if it backfires through carbs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
> What is the duration of the back fire(s), if
> they're multiple, and what is the indicated
> level of the gas gauge? Also, is the vehicle
> in motion when it's reved and backfires?
> Have an idea, but need to know.

I have been having this problem with my 77 for the two years ive owned it. it is less i think but is like a cough or sneeze when i shift from 1st to 2nd. ive been trying to pry off the cover to my AFM to clean the contacts but somebody has glued it on and i keep busting the edges off. ill get to that someday. ive wondered if its the BCDD adjustment too but havent messed with that yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
> What is the duration of the back fire(s), if
> they're multiple, and what is the indicated
> level of the gas gauge? Also, is the vehicle
> in motion when it's reved and backfires?
> Have an idea, but need to know.

I have been having this problem with my 77 for the two years ive owned it. it is less i think but is like a cough or sneeze when i shift from 1st to 2nd. ive been trying to pry off the cover to my AFM to clean the contacts but somebody has glued it on and i keep busting the edges off. ill get to that someday. ive wondered if its the BCDD adjustment too but havent messed with that yet.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regardless of gas gauge, going down the road, or in neutral, exhaust backfire, otherwise it runs very strong, no black smoke, etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.