ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, when i get in my car and start it up and i go 2 put in reverse or 1st gear it wont go in, i have 2 pretty much force it in i mean its hard, then i shift a couple times and it starts 2 go in smooth then its fine untill the next day or so.. you have any sugestions whats wrong??

·
Registered
996 Posts
Get under the car with a light and a 3/8 ratchet and extension. Look at the passenger side of the transmission, about driveline height. You'll see a threaded plug with a square hole in it. Put the extension in the hole and unscrew the plug. the transmission is full if the car is sitting level and the oil just reaches the bottom of the hole.

Dan

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Mine kindda had that problem. If yuor clutch system has air in it it will not disengage all the way and cause problems getting in gear.

If you have worn snycros you will have a hard time getting in First without the car completely stopped. HIgh end synthectic gear oil like redline will help.

But what it sounds liek is you can't get it in gear when it is completley stopped. Does it help if you put it in neutral release the clutch then in gear again. This can be due to bad shifter bushings.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Ok some questons. ...

First of all where does the clutch start to engage? 1/2" off the floor? 1" off the floor, 3"off the floor?????????????? Did this start recently? Have you bled the system as suggested?
MaxDoc

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Ok thats a start..........

Was the master or slave cylinder replaced at the same time as the clutch? If not then I would first check the slave under the car. Carefully peel back the dust boot on the slave from the cylinder body and check for fluid. If there is fluid in the dustboot then the seals in the slave are not holding. If its dry then check the clutch master cylinder by looking inside under the flange where it bolts to the firewall for any sign of leaking. Also check the inside of the car where the master cylinder comes through the firewall for any sign of leakage as well. If all is dry then you may want to adjust the pedal free play. You can do this by locating the locknut on the master cylinder rod inside the car. You can't miss it. It is on the master cylinder rod were it runs through the yoke that attaches to the clutch pedal. Its a 12mm nut. Break it loose from the back of the yoke and once that is done rotate the rod clock wise to lengthen the rod a bit. Keep doing this until the clutch engages around 2-2.5" from the floor. Once that is done then test drive the car to see if that cures the problem.
MaxDoc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.