ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am having problems with ym car's idel the RPMs are at 2500 off the choke, if i am right should it not be around 1500 RPMs if yes, how would i go about seting the idel system.

Small story

My Z is 27 years old, its older then me, i am the 3rd owner of it, we brought it up to N.H. about 10 years ago it was last running in 1994 and after that it just sat and rotted, my dad was going to send it to the scrap yard but seeing how i just turned 16 and got my lincense and needed a car, i figured i would take the car from my dad and work on restoring it. Well anyway it has been sitting sence 1994 with the same old gas in it, after about 6000 turns of the key, the car started and came back to life, I then bagan work on its body because it was starting to rust and paint was pealing off the frame all over the place, The car still has all its factory parts and they all still work, Crazy i know right, but just yesterday i blew the raditor and now i need a new one, which sucks because parts for a 260 cost so **** much, so if any of you know where i can get a good one fro around $100-$150 please E-mail me. Thanks! When i finish the i will post some pics up on a page for you all to see, I have pics now of it when i just started working on it, so i will post before and after pics and a listing of what parts i had to replace and for how much.

Thanks Guys!

[email protected]

-James

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Look around for Junkyards in the area, James. Pull a Part or U-Pull places are a great start. Prices are cheap and most of the time stuff comes with a guarantee. And you get some experience removing the stuff without tearing up your car.

You outta be able to use any first generation Z radiator in your car. Newer ones might hang down an inch or so -- but it won't affect the operation and shouldn't cause you any problem with road clearance.

You can also get a deal on a new one at

http://www.radiators.com

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Or you can get it recored at a local radiator shop. I presume you have flushed all the old fuel out? If not get as much out as possible and run some fuel system cleaner through it. The high idle may just be vacuum lines. If you have the original flattops, I believe the idle is set using controlled air bypass at the carbs so look for any cracked rubber tubing and hoses on the carbs, and emissions equipment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Problem with 1974 260 2+2 idle

High idle may be due to vacuum leaks. Check all the connections on the intake manifold to make sure they're connected to something and not just drawing in air.

Oh, and your idle should probably be in the 700-800RPM range when the choke is off.

If your carbs are stock, there is a very large screw on the balance tube just to the left of the EGR valve. This screw controls the idle speed. There is also a smaller screw that presses against the throttle linkage. This screw should not touch the throttle linkage except when tuning the car. It's called the fast idle screw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.