ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Z starts great in the morning after sitting all night, but after driving and then letting it sit for an hour or so, i really have to work to get it started. I can get it started but,i have to give it gas and keep turning it over.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Based on your description I would say you need to replace your coolant temp sensor. It 's likely faulty and providing incorrect readings to the ecu, the ecu is still trying to provide an overly rich fuel mixture as if the car is still cold which is flooding the car.

The coolant temp sensor is about a $18-20 part at the dealership and a 5-10 minute install. Just make sure the car is cold for the install. The sensor is the larger of the two located on the top radiator pipe.

If you run the ecu codes, you will likely have a fault code for the sensor.

Tim

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
In addition to Mr. SilverTwinOH ...

suggestion you may also want to take a look at a couple of more items IF the coolant temp sensor checks out. First of all try this easy item...disconnect the Fuel Pressure regulator vac line from the balance tube and cap the tube when the engine is hard to start. If it fires up then you may want to check the PVR solenoid to see if it is opperating. Next you want to check the fuel pressure when the engine is cold. To do this connect a fuel pressure gauge on the line running from the fuel filter to the fuel delivery tube using a 5/16" T fitting and a short length of 5/16" high pressure fuel line. Once that is connected turn the igniton to ON but do not start the car. Make sure the fuel pressure spikes to at least 40psi holds there for at least 30-45 seconds or longer. If the fuel pressure bleeds down to 0 quickly then the fuel pressure regulator may be faulty. On a hot engine the FPR should be boosting the fuel pressure at cranking to at least 40 PSI to assist the hot start.
Hope this helps.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the thing is i already changed the coolant temp sensor because it threw a code, and i also replaced the fuel pressure regulator. i dont know what else to try. if you guys have any other ideas, please let me know. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.